Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know some of you audio enthusiasts will cringe at the idea but will replacing the stock sub and leaving the stock amp and HU make a difference. To tell you the truth I didn't even know I had a sub until I read about it. The stock sub cant hit at all. I had some JBL gto 6x9's that hit harder than that thing. I plan on replacing the HU and would love some more low end but I can't sacrifice the space in back for a box. Not to mention that every car I've put a decent system in has been broken into and my stuff jacked. Back to the topic at hand, would I hear much improvement by just swapping out the stock sub for an after market one? Would it be best to replace the stock amp as well?

Thanks, Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts


There is an improvement in using an aftermarket subwoofer but it will be limited by subwoofer amplifier. As shown in the photo, there is not a lot of room to fit an aftermarket subwoofer in this location. I do not have specialized welding skills to do so. The stock amplifier and subwoofer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
CzechMate911 said:
Now I know some of you audio enthusiasts will cringe at the idea but will replacing the stock sub and leaving the stock amp and HU make a difference. To tell you the truth I didn't even know I had a sub until I read about it. The stock sub cant hit at all. I had some JBL gto 6x9's that hit harder than that thing. I plan on replacing the HU and would love some more low end but I can't sacrifice the space in back for a box. Not to mention that every car I've put a decent system in has been broken into and my stuff jacked. Back to the topic at hand, would I hear much improvement by just swapping out the stock sub for an after market one? Would it be best to replace the stock amp as well?

Thanks, Peace
Stealth systems don't get broken into. The trick is to look 100% stock. You can even leave a stock or stock-looking HU in charge, then make a processor correct the sound and send it to amps. Run totally hidden amps, and hidden subs, etc.

I second the stuff Billyk is showing you as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
BoiCSt8Escape said:
Hey dhershberger, that sub setup is almost exactly what my GF is looking for. She wants too keep all the cargo room but still have some bass. How much modification was involved with making a setup like that??
No modifications, really. The 8" Kicker was a drop-in replacement for the stock woofer and the JL Audio amp sits on a thin piece of wood mounted to the stock amp's screw holes. Of course, running a high-power amp requires an amp install kit.

Stock:


Modded:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
I stuck my Sony subwoofer amplifier under the drivers seat. I like what you did and will have to investigate to see if it fits in the rear cargo area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
dhershberger said:
BoiCSt8Escape said:
Hey dhershberger, that sub setup is almost exactly what my GF is looking for. She wants too keep all the cargo room but still have some bass. How much modification was involved with making a setup like that??
No modifications, really. The 8" Kicker was a drop-in replacement for the stock woofer and the JL Audio amp sits on a thin piece of wood mounted to the stock amp's screw holes. Of course, running a high-power amp requires an amp install kit.

Stock:


Modded:
i like this idea, nice to know that there are easy upgrade options without too much modifying
:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Billyk said:


There is an improvement in using an aftermarket subwoofer but it will be limited by subwoofer amplifier. As shown in the photo, there is not a lot of room to fit an aftermarket subwoofer in this location. I do not have specialized welding skills to do so. The stock amplifier and subwoofer:
Hey Billyk, how many ohms on that Kicker replacement? 2 or 4? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
dhershberger said:
JL Audio XD amp & Kicker 8" are much better than stock.

I have a 2004 Escape Limited, and I'm looking to do exactly what you've done. A few questions though;

Did you use the original signal cable coming to the stock sub? If so, which side did you run the power from the battery to (driver or pass)

I'm looking to use this amp because it has an option to have a remote installed up front, but I'm open to suggestions:
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate- ... pd_sim_e_3

Any advice or problems you ran into?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure this gets done right the first time. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Hey there,
No worries about the questions. I would have answered you sooner but I don't get notified when someone posts to these threads.

I ran an RCA back to the sub amp - and it's an easy run. I also ran 4 guage power from the battery along the driver's side, around the back of the rear well to the amp. It took about 25 feet and left a bit of play. The driver's side firewall had a gromet to use so I didn't have to cut any meta. Remember, mines a 2007 so your mileage my vary.

I didn't want to rely on the stock wiring for the amp because I have doubts about it providing enough power without it bursting into flame. That Fosgate amp looks great but it's bigger than the 6 channel amp I'm using - and the one I'm using barely fits. Maybe you should look at getting something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
That's exactly what I'm looking to do with my truck too...aftermarket 8" driver in the stock enclosure, and get a small aftermarket amp and rig up a panel for it to bolt to inside the 1/4 panel too. I like a stealth installation like this.

I bet an aftermarket sub plays deeper, and hits harder with an aftermarket amp like that. I don't wanna go any larer than an 8".

What does yours sound like compared to the OEM stuff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Do you think I'd be able to tap into the stock signal cable? I'm pretty sure the 04 system doesn't have RCA outputs in the back. I'll check tomorrow to be sure.

Thanks again, I'll probably be back with more questions. What model amp did you use? Worst case scenario I'd just have to mount it elsewhere, but I do like the idea of having one with a remote that can go to the front of the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I am wondering what the model # is on this Kicker 8" sub? I am looking at this JL 8" woofer in a vented box that is less that six inches deep. Check it out here http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures.php?menu=8&prod_id=474

I am also wondering if I might be able to find that trim piece for that side of the cargo area. My XLT didn't have the premium sound system, but I do have an amp that can fit up in that slot.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Davis137 said:
That's exactly what I'm looking to do with my truck too...aftermarket 8" driver in the stock enclosure, and get a small aftermarket amp and rig up a panel for it to bolt to inside the 1/4 panel too. I like a stealth installation like this.

I bet an aftermarket sub plays deeper, and hits harder with an aftermarket amp like that. I don't wanna go any larer than an 8".

What does yours sound like compared to the OEM stuff?
Blows the OEM out of the water. I stuffed the stock plastic enclosure big-time - until it was difficult to put more stuffing in it. I also put damping material all over the thing - including inside of it to try to lower it's resonance.

Oncfe the woofer loosened up it really took off. While it's still an 8", it is so much better than stock - it will even make my rear-view mirror vibrate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
GrandmasCar said:
Do you think I'd be able to tap into the stock signal cable? I'm pretty sure the 04 system doesn't have RCA outputs in the back. I'll check tomorrow to be sure.
Can't help you on this one. My stock HU (the Audiophile system) has RCAs in the back - but I'm still using an aftermarket HU.

GrandmasCar said:
What model amp did you use? Worst case scenario I'd just have to mount it elsewhere, but I do like the idea of having one with a remote that can go to the front of the car.
It's a JL XD600/6 - 6 channels. They also have a 4 and 2 channel version and soon a mono amp. The 2 channel amp would fit perfectly. A lot of amps these days have remote attenuators; mine does, although I don't use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
zcoleman said:
I am wondering what the model # is on this Kicker 8" sub? I am looking at this JL 8" woofer in a vented box that is less that six inches deep. Check it out here http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures.php?menu=8&prod_id=474

I am also wondering if I might be able to find that trim piece for that side of the cargo area. My XLT didn't have the premium sound system, but I do have an amp that can fit up in that slot.

Thanks!
That kicker is (I think) a 10CVT84.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
dhershberger said:
zcoleman said:
I am wondering what the model # is on this Kicker 8" sub? I am looking at this JL 8" woofer in a vented box that is less that six inches deep. Check it out here http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures.php?menu=8&prod_id=474

I am also wondering if I might be able to find that trim piece for that side of the cargo area. My XLT didn't have the premium sound system, but I do have an amp that can fit up in that slot.

Thanks!
That kicker is (I think) a 10CVT84.
Thanks man!
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top