Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened ever since i bought it...
There is a medium brown liquid dripping (slowly) from around the radiator side and passenger side of the oil pan but it dosent feel "oily" and dosent have an odor either. I really dont think its engine oil because i would notice a level drop on the dipstick and i would notice a burny smell if it dripped on the exhaust (the drip is just above the exhaust but the oil filter isnt leaking) and neither of those have happened. Its not a real problem but just an annoyance. What do u think it could be?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Medium brown or dark red? There's a cooling line that routes to the side of the radiator to cool the transmission fluid. Have you checked those fittings? Sprinkle a light dust of baby powder around the fittings, that should tell you if there's a leak there.

Also, whenever I hear brown fluid, leak, and radiator in one sentence, I always automatically check the coolant for oil contamination. Just habit, I guess. How's your coolant?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The coolant is the color its supposed to be and i checked all the hoses that i could find and no problems there but it seems to be leaking the most infront of the engine area.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Only so may different fluids in there. Engine oil, trans fluid, power steering fluid, coolant, brake fluid. There's 2 more but you'd know those right away, windshield washer and battery acid. Engine oil as you know gets very dark. Trans and PS fluid can turn dark brown from all the heat they go through.

I would put a large cardboard under for a few hours, maybe overnight. It's easier to trace starting from a fresh drip. Keep in mind too that where the drip fall on the ground won't necessarily originate right above. Could be working it's way down a path.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just changed the power steering fluid on my 2005 and the old stuff was very brown, with a slight purple tinge. In my 2005 it was Mercon ATF and I think a 2007 also still uses the same Mercon ATF for the power steering. Anyway, the colour sounds similar to what I saw in mine so that might be worth a look.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the leak recently checked and i have the infamous duratec oil pan gasket leak lol It isnt really a problem but will get it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ltlredscape said:
I had the leak recently checked and i have the infamous duratec oil pan gasket leak lol It isnt really a problem but will get it fixed under warranty.
Good for you that you were able to solve and pinpoint the problem. :thumb: I think I'm gonna tell this to my friend because he recently mentioned a strange leak too on his car. I'm gonna let him check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts