Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a recommendation for a stubby antenna for the Escape? I know there's a few on eBay. How good is your FM reception using some of the short antennas?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If it's any help, over here in England, I bought a stubbie aerial from my local motorist shop for £5.00, and had just as good FM reception as with the OE one.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I got mine from the following site: http://www.shortyantennas.com. It's the 15" solid color and I needed to get an adaptor that cost a few extra dollars. I've been very happy with it. I don't notice a huge difference in reception if any. Just remember to take it off if you go to a car wash. I forgot once and it bent a few inches. :doh: I was able to bend it back but it's not perfect...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all.

Regarding car washes, will the factory antenna hold up in a car wash?

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Probably better to take it off... I used to. I thought the billet stubby would hold up better but it didn't. I think the only one I would risk leaving on is the stubby rubber antenna I've seen on some Escapes...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
ive driven mine through a car wash so many times i cant count, including yesterday. and my stock antenna is fine, after my 60,000km worth of washing, and the unknown 90,000 before that.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Drive through car washes are A-Ok for antennea. Cheap insurance to simply take it off. I do. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Here's a couple pic's of my short antenna mod, the hand in the picture comparing the stock antenna with the new short antenna belongs to my five year old daughter who was my helper for the mod!!! I went with the 8 inch shorty and have no problems with reception.

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought one 6 months ago and did not put it on yet cause I am afraid someone might grab it and try to bend it.. this shorty antenna is not bendable it will damage the fender.... maybe I am too paranoid..but I do park downtown. :cry:

·
Registered
148 Posts
i bought a nice shorty from wallmart, it is bendable and has awsome reception as well, it costs $12.99 , I had one on my last truck wich was a 02 tracker and it had terrable reception could barely even get our local station, but the one I have now is so much better both in looks and reception Dino

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tryingtoescape said:
i bought a nice shorty from wallmart, it is bendable and has awsome reception as well, it costs $12.99 , I had one on my last truck wich was a 02 tracker and it had terrable reception could barely even get our local station, but the one I have now is so much better both in looks and reception Dino
I almost bought one from Walmart last week. Does your antenna claim to be "amplified" and is it wide near the bottom of the antenna?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey Colleen, I'm glad I could help! I have certainly gotten a lot of good information off this site, it's my pleasure to return the favor!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
tryingtoescape said:
Same here! Works better than the stock one on my Escape!
$10.99 at my Wally Mart!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just took my stock antenna and cut it down. Mine's about 8". The only thing is finding something to put on the tip. I had another old antenna and was able to get the tip off it.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Nolescape said:
Hey Colleen, I'm glad I could help! I have certainly gotten a lot of good information off this site, it's my pleasure to return the favor!!
Omg, mine came in the mail a while back and I forgot all about it. :doh:
I guess I should sweet talk my hubby into putting this on for me soon.
I better put this on my to do list before I forget about it again. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Colleen, I think that's one mod you could do yourself...no?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts