Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 V-6 XLT with 138,000 miles. I did some work at 134,000 and the vehicle went from 20mpg to just over 23mpg on my daily trip to work. I replaced the IAC, spark plugs, vacuum hoses, PCV, air filter, fuel filter, thermostat, drive belt, etc. The Escape purrs at idle hot or cold. It has good acceleration and runs flawlessly when the engine rpm is over 2,000 not matter the road grade. But between 1,000-2000rpm under light loads (flat road or slight uphill grade) it stumbles or shakes occasionally but NEVER when the mechanic is in the vehicle. No error codes. The previous owner showed the dealer replaced the DPFE for P0402 code at 99,800 miles. Could it be the DPFE again as I read in the forums? Or are there other suggestions besides adopting the mechanic?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I was going to say "DPFE valve" by just reading the thread title.

Since those valves "live in a nasty environment" (quoting the service manager that replaced the one on my 2002 Explorer after only 10,000 miles), it's very likely that this is the problem. My Explorer was running perfectly under every other situation, too...it only stumbled on part-throttle at around 1,000 to 2,000 RPM, just like yours.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My Dad had the same problems on his Contour, and then again with his two V6 Topazes...DPFE on the Topaz, and he's actually gone and pulled DPFE's off of other engines at scrap yards so he's got spares (the older ones like his let water/vapour find it's way inside the housing and ruin it).

Hope you solve this problem!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will get a new DPFE form the local ford dealer and try it out. I was just surpised I didn't get an error code. I am out of the area right now but when I return I will post the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.