Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, I had my tranny rebuilt a year ago and 15,000 miles on the odo and the tranny died 3 weeks ago. the day i paid for the original rebuild i was smart and paid an extra $250 for the 3 yr/36 mile warranty. i had the escape towed to the shop and every time they call me to take it home I drive about 5 miles down the road and the tranny shifts hard and the overdrive light light blinks, so i turn around and bring it back to the shop. they have rebuilt it to some degree 5 times in the last 3 weeks. went out this morning and picked it up and sure as i am sitting here it took a dump on the way home. they are getting better though i got about 12 miles from their shop this time. i chewed some rear when i brought it back this time and suggested that maybe it would be cheaper for them to just put in a new tranny. ialso told the guy my unique situation, I and my family are moving from southern california to Tennessee in 1 month. i was told they would have it fixed by then. I told hime I hope or you will have to ship the car to me when they do fix it. they have pretty much replaced everything but the case for both the tranny and the transfer case. I have never had this much problem with any repairs to any car in my life. but I got to give them some credit they have not waivered from honoring the warranty.

:wall:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sounds to me they were being stubborn about replacing your tranny all together. Most mechanics try several times to simply fix something but if the same symptom occurs over and over again I would have ordered a whole new tranny ages ago, it was obvious something in there was wrong or it was just one of those domino effects.....fix one thing and another breaks. :doh:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i am hoping for is a new tranny. i finally got the truck running good and new suspension with canuck lift out front. drove it for a week and tranny went out. im just glad they are not trying to get out of the warranty

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think that o1 and o2 escapes didnt have the tranny cooler and that caused the trannys overheat and go bad. My sister and friend had mazda 626's with the same tranny. They didnt have coolers and they would boil over! eventually they need to be repaired. The escape is set up to be a little more durable but without a cooler the tranny may fail later on down the road when they decide to give you a new one.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'll be honest with you. I have yet to rebuild a transmission this past decade. I have bought some out of Junk Yards and like you I bought the extended warranty. I have never needed the warranty...

Same with engines. Two engines have failed us when they exceeded 200K miles. I had my shade tree friend swap out the trannies and the engines for about $500 each, depending.

I never got any satisfaction out of rebuilding or repairing a transmission, so I gave up and buy Junk Yard parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am looking at adding another tranny cooler to the stock setup. I have never had a tranny fail till the now, have always done good maintenance and no problems.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
That is a good reference! It's been a while since I was there though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update on my poor escape.
well i tried to pick up the car thursday and like all the other times made 5 to 10 miles down the road and shifting was very hard and overdrive light flashing. i took it right back to the tranny shop. the manager tells me that it was not under warranty and that he was just doing me a favor for working on it. it sounds like he is trying to disengage since he has so many hours and new parts in this thing now. I told him that was [email protected]#$$%^^&&*& that he should have been real clear about that the first time I talked to him and explained that the tranny was rebuilt by the previous owner before i bought the car. he tells me that warranties are not transferrable, and when i asked to see it in writing he said look at your receipt, i showed the original and the latest that he gave me that said tranny rebuilt under warranty for the first feeble attempt they made. no where on either invoice was it sated warranty not transferrable. he had nothing to say. i also stated that since he took the car and rebuilt it the first time and gave me paper work stating that is was rebuilt under warranty that even if he was right about the warranty not being transferrable, he assumed responsability for the warranty by doing the work, and giving me paperwork showing the work was done under warranty and he never told it was not and never gave me a quote or got conscent for any charges. i then asked to speak to the owner.

called him today and he has a outside tranny guy doing a complete rebuild for the 4th or 5th time and is replacing everything again. I think he has finally realized he was wrong or that he is between a rock and the proverbial hard place. in other words i believe i have them by the short and curly's. i suggested that his tranny guy retire or go back for more training, he has rebuilt the tranny so many times and it still does not work right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts