Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys Ima thinking of upgradeing my sub in my 05 escape ltd, I havent had time to get into it yet but from the looks of it is it a 8" sub? if not what size is it? will most any other sub of its size fit in without doing any mods? I just installed a jvc kw adv790 headunit and want to slowly upgrade the rest of the system, so any input you guys and or gals too can give me wiill be greatly appreciated D.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you look around online, the 01-04 Escape Limiteds had a 7" subwoofer in the sealed enclosure in the back. The 05-07 Models are listed as having an 8". I've seen cases online where people were able to fit an 8" Kicker or Pioneer sub in the stock locations, without any modifications (other than sometimes needing to drill new screw holes in the cabinet to mount the woofer). I'm thinking of doing the same thing, with an 8" Infinity or JBL sub, and just getting a more powerfull small amp to stash in the 1/4 panel.

Let us know what you find/do!

·
Registered
311 Posts
ScooterScott did this mod and I believe he is very happy with it. I installed a class3 ported 1.75 cu. ft. box in the back of mine last weekend, but I'm already thinking about this mod for my 07 limited because it takes so much space. For now, I am running the stock 8" and the aftermarket 12". at the same time.

·
Registered
758 Posts

The 8inch Kicker shallow sub fits into the stock opening but you need to drill a few holes into the plastic compartment. The rear issue is the small stock amp for this unit is designed for the stock subwoofer. The small size of the amp and how it is mounted makes it difficult for the non-professional to find something to fit in this area. I have a 2005 Escape Hybrid.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That's really cool...what was the end result...was it deeper or harder hitting than the stock woofer? I know that Earthquake also makes a SVS series, shallow mount subs (even have a 6.5" model too) that have decent specs. Not many brands make 8" subs anymore, and I don't know why...with new technologies, you don't need huge ported boxes and woofers with huge motor assemblies and magnets to get decent bass anymore.

You're an evil person btw...enticing me even more now to wanna start shopping for a replacement sub...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well picked up the mtx sub encloser a little while ago but it is a gray color so I need to dye it to black to match the rest of the interior, after I have it dyed and mounted, hooked up etc. I will post back some pics of how it went into my 05 escape, even though it calls for 01-04 models only,Iam going to start on it shortly and hopefully later tonight have some pics to post Dino

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Can you take picture before you dye it and after. also pictures of the panels in place and pictures of the panel taken apart.l

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok all finished, wish I would of seen the posts sooner about some before and after pics. I would have to say that it wasnt the easiest job, when they say it fits from 01-04 they mean it, I had to do a fair bit of modding for this encloser to fit nice and properly on my 05 escape, I would say out of a scale of 1-10 this would be about a 7, but the sound quality was very well worth it, Ive never had a vehicle with a sub in it before, my home theater has 2 12" paradigm subs and rumbles the windows etc, I was amazed at the amount of nice tight bass this mtx puts out!! I put a dvd in of batman and the explosions are unreal,this was well worth the amount of work that I put into it today ,the wife needed the truck to drive the girls to dance class so as soon as she gets back I will take a few pics of it and post them in here sorry about not getting the before shots...I should of knowen better!!!! Dino

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok here are a few pics of the mtx sub encloser in my 05, hope they look alright
Iam going to have to put some sort of extra screen on that speaker grill as it does not provide much protection to the sub itself, I can just see one of the kids throwing something in the back and puncturing the sub,leaving it as it is ,is just tempting fate lol!!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Very nice install dude!!

Yes I did do the Kicker replacement. It's an 8" Kicker SVT or something like that. Fits right in but you have to modify a few holes. No big deal though and it worked much better than stock!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Nope I had an aftermarket wired up in the storage compartment.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The fit doesn't look right. The panel must be much different from my 04 Escape.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ajc6882 said:
The fit doesn't look right. The panel must be much different from my 04 Escape.
yoiu are right it is very different from o4-05 Like I said i had alot of extra work to do to make it fit, the pics realy dont do it justice as the sub encloser actually looks like it belonged there, but this was after the many modds I had to make to panel for it to fit in position,Dino

·
Registered
758 Posts
Billyk said:

The 8inch Kicker shallow sub fits into the stock opening but you need to drill a few holes into the plastic compartment. The rear issue is the small stock amp for this unit is designed for the stock subwoofer. The small size of the amp and how it is mounted makes it difficult for the non-professional to find something to fit in this area. I have a 2005 Escape Hybrid.
I just ordered a Sony xm-1S amplifier to replace the stock (Mach) unit for my subwoofer. This Sony unit is small and should fit where the Mach amplifier is located. If not, then it will fit under the seat.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Cool find on the small amp! I know hardly anyone makes a small amp anymore (that doesn't suck anyways). I think Pioneer, Alpine, and a couple of others might, but some of them are illuminated and whatnot (which you don't care about if you are burying the amp in the 1/4 panel anyways. How was the end result with another amp and sub? Was the stock enclosure good to go for the aftermarket driver? I'm a huge fan of improving what you've already got now, instead of going with something big and in the way.

L8tz :shades:

Oh yeah, for those of you that upgraded the stock sub and the stock amp, how were you able to wire up the aftermarket amp...? Did you use the factory wire harness and just cut off the connector, and stripped the wires, and terminated them on the correct terminals on your new amp, or did you run a new power, ground, and remote wire, and run the speaker level inputs into the new amp?

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The factory sub replacement looks good. Do you know roughly how deep the sub enclosure is with no sub in it? Looking to replace mine but need to know the depth to know what I can try and do. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts