Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I'm not an expert on finishes... But I have a black stang and I use a clay bar to remove surface oxidants and then a good wax like mothers etc. When done the lite scratches are gone and I get a mirror finish. I have also used a good buffer on it with the same effect but if you have any dirt in the head it can make thing worse real fast, the clay bar is the best but it too much stay clean and dirt free during the process.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You can also try an acrylic polish which is almost like a 2-in-1. The resulting "shell" is a bit harder and more durable than most waxes I have used.

·
Registered
256 Posts
a swirl-free finish on black is the holy-grail of the professional detailer. If you're serious, go over to Autopia.org and read up on the DAs (Porter Cable Dual-Action Random-Orbital polishers). There's tutorials at the top as well as extensive threads discussing it. Unlike rotary polishers that can burn your finish, these are safe and used for final finishing/swirl removal. Good luck (and even though I own all this stuff, I WOULD NEVER buy black!).

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
No black for me either. Just because I am never satisfied with the final clean up.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I wanted Dark Blue Ink Metallic or Vapor Silver Metallic for our Fusion.

I was overruled.

:shrug:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
How about matte black? :bag:

My next car may get a full treatment of truck bed liner. Scratch resistant, easy touch-ups, and I can wash with a hose and a mop. No more products. :D

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy said:
How about matte black? :bag:

My next car may get a full treatment of truck bed liner. Scratch resistant, easy touch-ups, and I can wash with a hose and a mop. No more products. :D
You maybe catching on to a trend. I saw an older sedan, Celebrity maybe? It had the roll it on yourself bedliner treatment all over the bodywork. Good job too! Nothing on the trim, and all the painted surfaces were covered...!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts