Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all as you may now im new to the escape mods
im looking at lowering her and want to know as per springs what u lot use or reckomend im looking at only maybe 2 inches also have any of u put air bags on one
im sorta looking at this option aswell
so any info or first hand knowledge of doing either of these would be great
cheers

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Don't do it. It looks so nice as is.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree with MadMax. If you were to do anything, lower it an inch or two.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Imtrax and H&R seem to be the popular ones. I have H&R which is 2" and it has a great ride, better handling and of course I like the lower look. It also levels out the body so the rear is not sticking up in the air.

I stallation is really the costly part. If you can do yourself it is reasonable if not this could be an expensive mod. Remember to account for the cost of a wheel alignment when your done!

Good luck

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i was only going to lower it 2 inches, 50mm,
what do u guys call expensive i have been quoted $400 aussie dollars
which is about the going rate for it here in aus for any car to be lowered springs only
i sorta like the look atm but reckon just a little lower would changer the stance and look a hell of a lot better
cheers

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I'm not sure what the rate for a mechanic is down under but here the install is about 4 hours for an experienced mech at around $70 USD (which these days ain't what it used to be :)). The springs are usually $200 to $350 from what I've seen. SO teh install could be as much as the parts. Then you have the alignment which could be another $100 USD. Some ships won't do an alignment on aftermarket parts so you might research this and if you have someone else do the work make sure they do the alignment too.

If you have enough miles on the truck you might you might also want to do the strut and maybe even the rear shocks since these items will be out and the springs removed for the struts... I put on KYBs at the time I did mine.

I bought my springs used for $175 and did the install myself so it only cost me a 12 pack O beer in labor
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :beer: :beer: :beer: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Surfy what are some common tools that you would need for this type of job? Do you have to compress the springs...lots of info on this could help the amateur do-it-yourselfer.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
THe only specialty tool is a good STRUT spring compressor. THese can be rented or purchased but the cost is almost the same around $30-$50 USD.

Then the usual stuff

Metric wrenches
Metric socket set
Floor jack
12 pack of Beer
Jack stands
allen head wrenches or driver for the swaybar links
pry bar
12 pack of Beer

I also added an aftermarket eccentric bolt to each strut to improve alignment and upper rear adjustable control arms to align the camber on the rear. The bolts are cheap and I recommend this addition, the control arms are another $150 plus if you can find them, but I've heard you can do without the controls if you stay with 2 inches of drop.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just for any one in the know my tyres are 275s it looks as thought it wont scrubb on full lock but does any one now for sure if it will or wont cause i dont want to be doing it the finding out it scrubbs.

and i like the chunky ness of the tryres too so i dont want to change that either

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Don't you already have them on? Do a full lock at slow speeds and see what happens.

275s may or may not rub. It depends on the backspacing of your wheels and the overall diameter of the tires. Even different brands of tire in the same size specification will show some variation.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah ive already go 20s on with 275 rubber and at low speed or not moving there is no touching
but it is hard to tell weather or not they will scrubb if its lowered 2 inches

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Put the other tire up on a curb and that will "lower" one side of your car for testing. :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts