Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for winter driving (both in terms of safety and fun!), I'm looking to upgrade my suspension. What are my options for a 2005 'scape XLT? Do I get anti-roll bars? Dampers? Gas shocks? I'm assuming that I will go with:

1. Some KYB shocks to improve stiffness and handling for snowy roads
2. Stiffer springs
3. Good winter tires (Firestone Winterforce UV were installed today).

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
- sG

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
unless you want to spend some money, that is pretty much the only way to go. Apparently , actually it's very difficult to do any major suspension upgrades. I'm finding this out as I go. It will however, be a worth while project for what I intend to use my E for.
The KYB shocks i was told from the person who is doing the work on my E says they are a great shock and worth every dollar spent.

You should already have the antiswaybar and the tires you purchased are awesome. i used them a few years ago. Just a great tire and they will last forever if you change them back to you reg after winter..
I assume your talking about new coil springs and if your ride is only 4 years old i think just changing to the KYB shocks and struts should do the trick. If not and you find a stiffer coil spring that is the OEM size please PM me or post it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you happen to know which KYB shock you're getting installed?

·
Registered
52 Posts
SGecko said:
In preparation for winter driving (both in terms of safety and fun!), I'm looking to upgrade my suspension. What are my options for a 2005 'scape XLT? Do I get anti-roll bars? Dampers? Gas shocks? I'm assuming that I will go with:

1. Some KYB shocks to improve stiffness and handling for snowy roads
2. Stiffer springs
3. Good winter tires (Firestone Winterforce UV were installed today).

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
- sG
Hello SG,

Right now the only KYB shock and strut made for the Ford Escape platform is the KYB GR-2. You will notice a considerable improvement in ride quality vs your stock shocks and struts. I replaced my factory shocks and struts with the KYB GR-2 on my 2009 Escape at 7,000kms because I was not satisfied with the ride characteristics of the stock dampers.

You may want to begin with just replacing the shocks on your Escape to see if the improvement in your ride will be sufficient for your needs. If you feel that stiffer springs are needed after the fact, there doesn't seem to be any firmer springs that retain the factory ride height (either the springs are lower or higher). H&R Special Springs manufactures a lowering spring that is approx. 10-15% stiffer than stock however the height of the Escape will go down by approx. 1.5" (front and rear). Again, you may want to start with installing shocks & struts only to begin with.

The Firestone Winterforce tire is a very good and meaty snow tire which will serve well in snow and rainy conditions.

Let us know how your search goes,
Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got off the phone with my mechanic. He'll install any shock/strut I bring him, so that's the good news. I'm assuming that if I want to get them done on front and back, that I need to buy two rear shocks and two strut assemblies: driver and passenger side. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance,
- sG

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'm not trying very hard, but I can not think of an instance where you would want unmatched shocks and struts on one end of the car or the other. I'd do fronts and backs in pairs. If you do just the front or just the back there shouldn't be any issues. Imo.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jonas1022 said:
I'm not trying very hard, but I can not think of an instance where you would want unmatched shocks and struts on one end of the car or the other. I'd do fronts and backs in pairs. If you do just the front or just the back there shouldn't be any issues. Imo.
The key is to make sure that I get the complete strut assembly for the front, though, right? Not just a component (forgive my newbieness on these things)?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You want the same strut assembly and you the same rear shocks. If he is going to mod deff keep us posted. we had to mod a lot on my rear suspension but havent really figured out what we can do on the front. Also if he's going to mod get your check book ready!! :thumb:
Pictures would be great esp for the front unles he's doing a stock OEM fitting strut. Whatever you do I'm sure you'll notice a difference..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to go with GR-2's pictured here and buy them from these guys: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/.../344356-KYB-GR2-Ford-Escape-and-Mazda-Tribute. They've got a pretty good package deal for all four.

Struts:

Shocks:

My boots and mounts are in good shape, so I won't need to replace those. My mechanic's going to give me a quote in the a.m., so I'll find out how much and when.

As far as modding, I'm hoping he doesn't have to do too much at this point. I'm really just looking to solidify for the winter. Perhaps when mud season comes, it will be time to increase ground clearance and really max it out.

Thoughts?
- sG

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well you just purchased the better of the after market shocks and struts avail. Good selection. KYB told me in an email that the whole set up will increase stiffness in the Escape by 10 to 15%. It will be nice and smooth I imagine..
those shocks and struts should bolt right on with no problems..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts