Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up every body the name is brandon im new to the city and i really need some info on lowering my escape. Im looking at getting 20s and i really want about a 1.5 to 2 inch drop i think it would look mean. Ive heard something about torsion bars or somthing and then new springs i just need to know excatly what to buy that way i dont have to buy them from the shop and get screwed.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello Brando. :) The only thing i get paranoid about, in context of a lowered car is the under carriage. My concern is i worry about the oil sump being damaged. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
H&R or Imtrax spring lower about 2 inches front and back. Levels out the car and 20" rims will fit. It is best to match tire diameter with the stock size when possible as going larger (in diameter) does have an effect on the escapes pep.

If you do the job yourself you can get it done for about $250-300 all in plus a Saturdays labor.

Mostly standard tools except for the Strut spring compressor wich can be bought or rented.

If you have a shop do the work them you can double the price (atleast). :cigar:

Here is a good example of doing most of the same sort of work as part of a strut and shock change. Pics should give you an idea of what you in for.

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=945

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you think the trouble is worth 300 bucks or do you think i should atempt it myself?

·
Registered
297 Posts
i love the ride height of the car personally, makes a nice change from the 'hot hatches' i normally drive!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
resq51kmg365 said:
brando32 said:
do you think the trouble is worth 300 bucks or do you think i should atempt it myself?
I think he's saying it is around 300 bucks to do it yourself, double that price for a shop to do it.
well i know that i was saying is it worth the extra 300 to do it myself

·
Registered
88 Posts
Been wanting to drop the back of PUTT so it matches the front a bit better. Do not really want to buy new springs at the time so I am wanting to go "old school" and just whack a coil out of the stock spring. Not sure if I'll torch it, sawzall, or plazma it but I see no reason that I can't cut one round out of the coil to get the drop. I know a lot of people will cringe at the thought, but we did it all the time "back in the day" before the lowered spring market was around. I might have to pick up a new pair of shorter shocks to limit the up travel. Are the springs captive at the top with a bolt or do they just stay due to the length of them? If you have done this or had a friend do it let me know how it went. I think if it does not work I could pick up a set of used springs then, or maybe talk to the finance officer (Wifie) and pop for a set of aftermarket springs.

What say you all.

PUTT :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
PUTT is back!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ya, sorry I was gone so long, had to take a trip to WA for a funeral, nephew got killed in a 4X4 accident.

Did get some good milage on the trip, and found out first hand what fuel costs in the rest of the country is/was.

Looking at doing some mods to increase the milage a bit more, maybe HHO.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Aww I'm sorry to hear about your nephew PUTT...my condolences go out to your family :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm a newbie here. just came across this thread. and i already a suspension work on my 04 ford escape. i used the h&r sport spring set and kayaba GR-2 for shocks. they came out just fine. and it dropped for almost 1.5 inch front and back. the thing i love about it is that it improved the handling a lot.....

thanks...

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Welcome to the board! Hope you find this community useful to you!

Do you have any pics of this mod?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Hay Putt, Sorry to hear of your loss...

In answer to the spirng question. The top of the spring is wound flat and sits in a rubbed donut. THe bottom has a pigtail that locks into a notch on the lower control arm. You just disconnect the shock and jack up the car. It is a tight fit and you need to watch ( and maybe free up ) the brake lines so they don't get stretched.

You could cut tham at the bottom, but how much to remove????

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Surfscape said:
Hay Putt, Sorry to hear of your loss...

You could cut tham at the bottom, but how much to remove????
sorry to hear that.

and jsut remove a little at a time haha :rockon: remember measure twice and cut once!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry I was gone so long, other issues in the family now. I did do the whack job (sounds kind of nasty) on the rear springs. I cut a full coil out, 360 degrees. It is just a bit lower then the front now and does hit the bump stops, so I whacked off the botom "bulge" on the stop and it seems to be ok. I think if I were to do it again, and I might, I would cut just a half coil (180 degrees) to see if it is more level.

Now that it is lower it does drive a lot more stable, but seems to have just a bit of bounce in the back. Might have to get another set of salvage spring and do the half coil deal. Or step up and get a real set of drop springs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts