Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ADDEDNoob to this fourm but not to mods generally. I bought my 02 escape last winter, just over 100k miles, 4 cyl/4speed/4wd. This is my first Escape. This was to be an extra vehicle, my 03 e46 AWD the daily driver. I liked the Escape so much it became my daily winter driver over my bmw.

But I didn't like the cloth seats with no heat (cold up here). So I installed seat heaters last winter, they worked great. But the cloth seats still sucked - all pilled and scruffy. Also I didn't like the solid bench seat, I wanted a 60/40 split.

I found a Katzkin kit on eBay last week. I checked the website, the usual price is around $700. They are on "clearance" on eBay for $199. For that price I took the risk and bought it. I found a 60/40 split rear seat in a local junk yard, important because the kit is available only for the 60/40 rears.

When I opened the box I was pleasantly surprised. The leather feels just like OEM. In fact I'm not convinced it's real leather - more likely some form of 'fused' or bonded hybrid with only a small amount of animal product actually in it. But since that's what OEM is too, it looks original. So too is the seat pattern - an exact match for the existing seats.

So far I have covered the back seats and one of the fronts. It is easy though it takes patience and a bit of muscle to get the covers in proper position. I should point out that you have to remove the cloth covers first - these are not designed to go over the original, but rather to replace them entirely.

If anyone's interested I will post pix when I am done. I wanted to post this now, though, in case anyone has been thinking about leather seats but has been put off by the price. This is a very good price on eBay for this product.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Awesome, pics would be great

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Wow... that's a fantastic deal. :thumb: Who did you get them from? Do you know if they are compatible with the side airbags? I'd like to see the pics too...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Pics would be great! I've wanted to do this to my 02 Escape since the cloth is worn and the vinyl on the driver's seat bolster is torn. Can you comment on the comfort of the leather as opposed to the stock cloth?

Thanks! :welcome:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will take a pic of the front passenger seat I have finished, and of the rear portion which is still out of the car.

I found the kit on eBay. I emailed and asked for a BIN price so I could go ahead and grab it - they did.

The comfort compared to the factory cloth? I didn't find the factory cloth uncomfortable, just ugly and frayed. I have sat in the front passenger and rear passenger seats and I think they are very comfortable.

I won't be able to finish the project for a week, though, because yesterday the brakes failed when my wife was exiting the highway. My daughter had the presence of mind to use the e-brake. Smart girl, track school paid off. Anyway, I left it with my shade-tree mechanic buddy to diagnose while I mess with the seats.

Pix tomorrow hopefully.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
bird67 said:
I found the kit on eBay.
I got that from your original post. I was hoping to get the seller name. I looked on eBay but everything I found was $700+. The leather on my seats is hard and smooth, even after 8 years. I was thinking of trying these to see if they would help. At $200, I could give this a try. At $700, I can't. Can't wait to see the pics. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Umm, yeah, I said I would post pix :shades: Coming.

The eBay item number is 350366270893 so you can look at it. The seller is accessoriesrusfl.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the pix I promised. This is what I started with.

Here is what the covers look like before installation.

Here is the 60 side of the rear seat after installation. I believe the wrinkles will come out as the stuffing re-expands and settles in.

Here's the back of the 60 side of the rear seat. The new seat covers use rugged zippers rather than the overlapping plastic closers used on the originals, in some places.

Here's the back of the front passenger seat. I haven't done the driver's seat yet. If you're curious the two cords coming out of the seat are for the seat heaters I installed.

Again, I expect that the few wrinkles will smooth out as the stuffing shifts back. This is the front passenger seat.

Another view of the front passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Looks great! I looked at the sellers other offerings but didn't see any more Escape covers. Oh well... I don't think they are compatible with the side airbags anyway...

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Wow, that looks awesome!! Kudos to ya!!! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More pix. Still have the driver's seat to cover and install. Also, note that the console is installed - JCWhitney has this on close-out now for $12.99. It's not OEM quality but it is a net plus for my interior.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts