Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend at work told me there are issues with Sync and iPhone, but he couldn't elaborate.

Does anyone know any more about this? Is anyone here using Sync and iPhone?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry, don't have an iPhone, but did have a problem with my Windows mobile phone where it would work for a while, but inexplicibly not connect via bluetooth sometimes. I had to disable bluetooth and re-enable it and and then it was OK until I turned off the car. Tried deleting the connection and it would then work for a while (few weeks?), then disable. Note that this was on my wife's 08 Taurus (first gen.) and was fixed with a firmware update by downloading on sync my ride.com. You might want to check there, check out the firmware updates and look for fixes for iPhone issues specifically or in general.

http://www.syncmyride.com/

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yes, there is a problem with SYNC and iPod touch/iPhone running software 3.1 or higher. SYNC's voice command features will not work with the music portion of the system because for some reason it can not complete an index of the iPod/iPhone. It continuously keeps attempting to. Ford/SYNC/Microsoft state that they are aware of the problem but it's been going on for over half a year now and there is still no fix for it. The fix is simple, but they are too lazy to do it. They would rather wait for Apple to *maybe* change the firmware back to how it was before 3.1, which will not happen.. So, will it be fixed? Who knows... in a year maybe....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a couple annoyances with Sync and my iPhone, but do not consider them problems.
1. If the autoplay function is on and I do not have my iPod plugged in, the bluetooth streaming audio automatically turns on. If I do not pay attention, it runs my battery down.
2. voice commands do not work on when the bluetooth streaming audio is on.

I have an iPod and an iPhone...I use the iPod for music and the phone as a phone so as not to run down my phone battery too much. I have not tried plugging my phone in and use it as the ipod through the USB, so I do not know what it will or will not do.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB and an iPod Classic 80GB (not an iPod Touch).

Since my iPod is not a Touch, if I use my iPod for music and the iPhone via Bluetooth, will Sync's voice commands then work for music? My iPhone is 3.1.3 as of my first upgrade.

I know that I'll have fun playing with all of this stuff when my Escape arrives. According to today's e-mail from my dealer, it's still waiting in the scheduled-to-be-built queue. When I ordered it, my dealer estimated that it would probably arrive before the end of March.

:cuss:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since my iPod is not a Touch, if I use my iPod for music and the iPhone via Bluetooth, will Sync's voice commands then work for music? My iPhone is 3.1.3 as of my first upgrade.
All iPod functions work beautifully with the iPod Classic.

The iPhone via bluetooth voice commands work for making calls. It will not use the ringtone assigned to the contact or read text messages to you. The sync commands will not work when bluetooth streaming your music through you iPhone. I have not connected my phone via the USB cable, so I cannot speak to that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
timothyjay2004 said:
Yes, there is a problem with SYNC and iPod touch/iPhone running software 3.1 or higher. SYNC's voice command features will not work with the music portion of the system because for some reason it can not complete an index of the iPod/iPhone. It continuously keeps attempting to. Ford/SYNC/Microsoft state that they are aware of the problem but it's been going on for over half a year now and there is still no fix for it. The fix is simple, but they are too lazy to do it. They would rather wait for Apple to *maybe* change the firmware back to how it was before 3.1, which will not happen.. So, will it be fixed? Who knows... in a year maybe....
The indexing problem is mainly due to the "genre" field not being populated on all the songs on the iPod/iPhone. There is a fix for the iPod/iPhone indexing problem, and it comes from Microsoft. If I remember correctly, I downloaded the fix from the SYNC web site. The software fix from Microsoft populates the genre field (if not already populated) on the songs in your music library on your computer. You then resync your iPod/iPhone through iTunes, and then reconnect your iPod/iPhone to your vehicle. The next time you index it will complete correctly. I have done the fix, and my 4G iPhone indexes fine now. Note that even with the fix, if you have a very large music library (thousands of songs) it can take a few minutes to index before you can use the voice commands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.