Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I read on here sometime that, like me, users of SYNC that owned an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad were having problems with SYNC and the never ending indexing. Over on the SYNC forum, it was suggested that the iPhone OS 4.0 might fix that for Ford. Well, I have a friend that is a developer and had him give me access to the OS 4.0 beta and sure enough, it appears to be completing indexes again and music control by voice seems to work again as well. I've only run the mariner 2 times since the install of the beta software, and it did start an index on the second restart, but the index was very quick and completed - which for me never occurred before with OS 3.1.x. If there is anyone here that is having these problems with OS 3.1.x on one of those devises, I'll keep this updated with each of the new betas - if things get better or worse - a lot can change between now and June.

OS 4.0 seems pretty cool so far btw! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I finally ran into the same problem yesterday, for the first time since I drove my new Escape home on April 22.

I have Sync with factory navigation on my Escape, and an iPhone 3GS 32GB. Sync will even detect my phone when it's still in the house and I start the car in the garage. I found that out by accident when I forgot my phone.

My iPhone is up to the current version (3.1.3).

How can I get 4.0 Beta? Thanks!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In order to get the 4.0 beta, you have to be a developer. Being an Apple developer costs $99 per year... And the software is a beta, so it can, and most likely will, contain bugs. Just installing the beta software will not work because iTunes checks Apple servers to see if your UDID (Unique Devise IDentification) is on their database for activation. If it is not, it bricks your iPod/iPhone .. and there is no way to unbrick it until 4.0 actually comes out .. you can not downgrade from 4.0 back to 3.1.3 because it flashes a new firmware to onboard chips. For the iPhone, I would not recommend doing it since you rely on it for communication. If you really want to do it, and for less than $99, there are people on the net that make "developer" accounts and then sell the UDID slots off. I've seen them for $6-$10. My friend who is a developer, had one slot left and after some pleading, put my UDID in as a test devise and forwarded me the software upgrade. Only down side to buying a UDID slot is that if Apple finds out that the "Developer" account is not actually a developer and the owner sold it off, they can remove all of the UDID's, and your iPod/iPhone is bricked once synced with iTunes.

Otherwise, the software should be out in June and will be a free upgrade to all iPhone users (minus the original iPhone - it has been made obsolete), free for the iPad (OS 4.0 only), and will be an unannounced charge for iPod touch users. Based on past upgrade charges, if I had to guess, anywhere from $5-$15.

PS: Since you have the 3GS, you will be able to have multi-tasking .. check out this link for info on the OS 4 software: http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

And if you want the beta, google "iPhone OS 4.0 UDID activation" for the cheap way, or become a developer: http://developer.apple.com/technologies ... s-new.html

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Thanks!

I've only noticed the iPhone glitch once, so I guess I can wait until 4.0 is released.

I heard a rumor that the next iPhone will be called iPhone HD.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have the same problem with my 32g Ipod touch, however its been more than 6 hours and it still wont end. Any clues? any suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts