Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a large envelope in the mail the other day that was basically a "thank you for buying a 2009 Escape" letter. But there was also some info on an upgrade to SYNC. This update had to be done at the dealership and it added new features. I went to the dealer this morning and had it done. I was in and out in less than an hour and they charged me $35 for the update. I tried to argue the charge since I bought it less than a month ago, but they siad that it was not a needed update and installing it was completely at my option. Anyway, my SYNC now includes 911 ASSIST and Vehicle Health Report.
Description of 911 ASSIST:
In an emergency-there's no room for the middle man. Using your mobile phone, 911 Assist* helps put you directly in touch with a 911 operator-bypassingintermediary call centers-and if you're unable to speak, delivers an emergency message to the operator.
When the feature is ON, 911 Assist uses your paired and connected mobile phone to dial 911 if the airbag deploys, and on certain vehicles if the emergency fuel pump shut-off is activated.
Gives occupants the option to cancel the call before dialing
Allows hands-free communication with a 911 operator
No subscription fees
No buttons or voice commands

Description of Vehicle Health Report:
After a quick one-time setup to activate the service, a simple voice command is all it takes to initiate a comprehensive and personalized online vehicle health report. View diagnostic information, scheduled maintenance, open recalls, service offers, and more at syncmyride.com. You can also schedule service online, set up an in-vehicle reminder to run a health report when it's time to perform scheduled maintenance, and even receive text messages regarding urgent issues related to any warning indicators displayed when you run a report. Plus... there are no subscription fees for this service.

I will update this post after I am able to play with the Vehicle Health Report and let you know what it is all about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You may want to check with Ford on this, but I just purchased a '09 Mariner and the Dealer's Service Dept told me that upgrades are free on the '09s, but that they do charge for upgrades on '08s and below. Your dealer may be scamming you...

·
Registered
79 Posts
my 09 goes in for a service this Thrusday and I asked about upgradeing mine with the latest features and he asked if I still had warranty and said it would be no charge. So I guess I will find out for sure.

·
Registered
679 Posts
mine would of cost 100$ to install and i said forget it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Take the time to register at syncmyride.com... the updates are free and you can do them yourself.

·
Registered
679 Posts
not the health report and 911 assist. The dealer has to do that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Weird... I just flashed mine on Saturday and it appeared to have included both the 911 and Vehicle Health Report stuff. When I got back inside the house to confirm the installs, only then was I prompted through to register a phone for the services.

That left me pretty confident the upgrades could be done by owners on their own, but a return visit to syncmyride.com says otherwise. Those features specifically state they are done at the dealership and may garner an installation fee. Bummer. :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
yup me dealer wanted to charge me too, not sure how much but the tech on site that does this wasn't actually sure on how to do it yet so I said forget it for now.

Its a bummer we can't do it our selves.

why do you want to add a hard drive?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Why not just plug in a external hd with a usb cord. Grabs power from the usb port? Will that work?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did anyone locate where the Sync module is installed at? I'm considering installing a 500Gb HD to the second use port. I did give the voice command "USB 2" and informed that nothing was plugged into it. At the time I did have a device in the Dash usb port.

·
Registered
679 Posts
A second usb port? Where?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm almost 100% certain the sync module is in the bottom back of the center console, back there between the two seats. I'm going to pull it off tonight to check. That's where it is on the Ford Edge. It's either there or up above the glove box. I'm going to snoop around and find it one way or another.

There is a second USB port on the module itself so I'm planning on running a cable from that to my 500gb HD to keep the nice clean appearance and usb port open that's up on the center console.

The Western Digital 500gb drive I got works beautifully.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Keep us posted

·
Registered
57 Posts
andjayik said:
A second usb port? Where?
the second usb port is hidden and it on the actual sync control box. I think its official name is "accessory protocol interface module"

I know the ford focus has it located behind the passenger side dash where an airbag would normally be located. The F-150 has it in the center of the dash. And the ford flex and edge has it in the back of the console...

I just need to know where its located on the Escape/Mariner.

once found, it will need a few small adapters and then i can use a notebook size portable hard drive in that port.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
johnnymossville said:
I'm going to snoop around and find it one way or another..
Its the weekend :), any luck? I was unaware of this second USB port. But I am running a 2.5" external HDD now and if I could hide it somewhere, plugged directly in to the module, that would be great. Please let us know when you determine the location.

·
Registered
82 Posts
looking forward to someone digging up the location as well. I'm hoping for it being in the dash in a relatively easy enough to access place where putting a HDD in the glovebox is within reach with a relatively normal length usb cable. It's sort of a shame they didnt put the USB port in the console where you could pretty much permanently keep a HDD or thumbdrive plugged in. I dont want to keep a HDD or even a thumbdrive plugged in out in the open like the escapes are configured for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts