Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent Autobloggreen podcast included the audio of T. Boone Pickens' breakfast keynote discussion about oil and alternative fuels at this year's Alternative Fuel event in Las Vegas.

Some of the best quotes:

- "We are importing 72 percent of our oil. ... We are now transferring $600 billion [a year] out of the United States to a few friends and a hell of a bunch of enemies. I can tell you, we are paying for the war against ourselves."

- "If they [China] had the Olympics today, in this smog, and ran the 100 meter dash, it would have to be a relay."

- "Diesel will never sell, again, below gasoline. It will always be more expensive than gasoline."

- "We're actually dealing with a huge shift of capital out to somewhere. We're going to be reduced to - I promise you it's going to happen pretty quick, too - we'll be reduced to something less than the superpower that we are."

The main problem, Pickens said, is that 85 million barrels a day is as much oil as the world industry can produce. That's it. More simply isn't possible. The trouble is, in the next quarter, demand will be around 86.5m barrels each day. The only solution that Boone sees is to make all the alternatives - he singled out wind and solar - much (much) bigger players in America's energy portfolio. For example, even with all of the problems with corn ethanol, he'd rather use it than foreign oil.

When it comes to natural gas vehicles, Pickens said, the U.S. seriously lags behind the rest of the world. There are 7m natural gas vehicles in the world, but only 150,000 in the U.S. It hurt him to say so, but he wishes the U.S. had followed France into the nuclear frontier. Also, Littlefair and Pickens agree that natural gas is a bridge to hydrogen.

Check out the audio in podcast #22 at:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/05/23 ... odcast-22/

:shock:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, we just installed a wind turbine in our backyard last month, SCE is giving killer rebates to us so the energy bill is dirt cheap. When the santa ana winds roll in SCE actually buys

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, we just installed a wind turbine in our backyard last month, SCE is giving killer rebates to us so the energy bill is dirt cheap. When the santa ana winds roll in SCE actually reverses the bill . Pretty good deal.
The only problem now is the gas bill, all 4 of us drive (me being the new addition) and our gas bill is 1050/month.
Vehicles:
2008 ford escape Hybrid
2003 lincoln Navigator
1994 Ford F-250 power stroke, currently running on Veggie oil. (Greasecar.com has conversion kits)
and My 2003 Ford escape XLT V6.

With the switch to Veggie oil, I think the fuel bill will go down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts