Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have this issue? On my 09 the tailgate has to be SLAMMED - HARD - to actually close properly. Dealer says it is normal. I think it is unreasonable and risks shattering the window! I am thinkinng of asking another dealer but I thought I'd get some feedback first.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Seems unusual, from how you explained it.
On my 06 escape, it is shut normally.
I do not slam it because of the danger, of breaking the tailgate glass.

When closing tailgate, i have it lifted from between a quarter to halfway up.
Basically in between a quarter and half way.
But definitely no higher than half way up.
In general i do not have to, slam the tailgate for it to shut securely.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
My '09 closes pretty easily. About 1/4 the way up and then closes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If we don't slam our tailgate closed, the sensor on the door will say the hatch is open. I've been slaming it shut since we figured that out.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I sometimes have that problem with my back window. I'll get into the car after closing it and the light will be on telling me it isn't closed so I have to get out and close it a little harder. It's not all the time though. This happens maybe 2 or 3 times a year. It used to be more but I think I just got used to making sure I give it a little extra push. Funny thing is... it is closed. I have to unlatch it so I can try again. Probably a sensor issue but for me it's not bad enough to be a real problem.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The tailgate on my 2010 also closes very easily. I barely need to push it down.

The latch post, IIRC, is a TX45 post. On my 2005 Escape, I had the same problem: the tailgate closed too tightly. After adjusting the post outward, it closed much more easily, and it remained tightly closed.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Tribute tailgate nearly closes on it's own. I like the way it latches. You guys need to adjust your latch. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.