Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:yahoo:

Had a play inside one today. Loads of space, nice levels of kit, but I'm really looking forward to unleashing all those 258bhp on Saturday.

Only odd thing is in the U.K, you can only get it with a 6 speed manual. I think most other countries get a 6 speed auto. Oh well. we'll see how it goes. Can't really afford it (Pre-registered, but only 100 miles on the clock, £16,000) We'll see how much they'll offer trade-in on the Mav. Who knows, it may well be too good an offer to turn down! :D

Oh. For those that don't know, it's a CX-7.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I test-drove a CX-7 a few months before I bought my Edge.

It reminds me of a slightly smaller Edge packed with adrenaline. If Mazda had offered it with a six-speed manual here (no manual is offered in the US), it would probably be in my garage right now. The automatic versions sold here are noisy and overpriced, and local dealers wouldn't budge on the price.

Please let us know how it drives, so I can be insanely jealous if you end up buying one with a manual transmission.

:cuss:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing it uses the same 4x4 system as the later Escapes. it says it's 100% FWD until it detects loss of traction where it can send up to 50% to the rear wheels. There's no '4x4 Lock' button that I could see.

I'm looking forward to cranking the 9 speaker bose system too.

I just hope I don't like it too much. Might make it very hard to walk away if we decide it's not economically viable. :doh:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You might not want to drive it. It has a funny way of making you like it too much.

It's that ZoomZoom thing.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jpark said:
You might not want to drive it. It has a funny way of making you like it too much.

That's OK. I have a Wife who has a default setting of "You aren't buying that!!".

I must admit to wanting it more than needing it, as the Mav has never let me down. It's just I've had the Maverick for over 3 years, and I think with the economy the way it is, there's more scope in getting a bargain at the current time. It'd have to be on finance, so dependant on interest rate offered, and they'd have to offer at least £2k for the Maverick.

Basically, there are more variables stacked against not getting it, than getting it. But we'll see. :thumb:

You said it was noisy when you drove it. Are we talking wind noise, drivetrain noise, tyre noise?

I know it's not gonna be the most frugal, but I'll bet it'll have better MPGs than the Mav. It'll be weird, I've not owned a 4 cylinder car in over 8 years. I always thought I'd step up to 8 cylinders rather than dropping back down to 4! (At least it's got a whopping great turbo on it. According to my research, it's a bigger turbo than on the U.S version. I don't know why they'd alter the spec) :shrug:

Watch this space, but don't be too surprised if I get my parade rained on!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Big Chris said:
jpark said:

That's OK. I have a Wife who has a default setting of "You aren't buying that!!".
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :clap:

I have to wipe my eyes... hang on a sec.

Big Chris said:
I must admit to wanting it more than needing it, as the Mav has never let me down. It's just I've had the Maverick for over 3 years, and I think with the economy the way it is, there's more scope in getting a bargain at the current time. It'd have to be on finance, so dependant on interest rate offered, and they'd have to offer at least £2k for the Maverick.

Basically, there are more variables stacked against not getting it, than getting it. But we'll see. :thumb:
I hear ya. I always develop a list of reasons to start looking for another car. That's the list that I use as the excuse to get another car.

But that list always covers another page that nobody else sees. It simply says "I want that!!!"

:D

Big Chris said:
You said it was noisy when you drove it. Are we talking wind noise, drivetrain noise, tyre noise?
Mostly drivetrain noise. 4-cylinder automatics always seem noiser and less "refined" than their manual counterparts. It had about the same noise level as our Fusion. That's not surprising (or bad), since our Fusion's 2.3 Mazda engine is similar to the CX-7's, except for the Turbo, direct injection, and a few other parts. But it was much noiser than my Edge, and it rode more stiffly. When I drove an Edge the first time, I was sold almost instantly.

Big Chris said:
I know it's not gonna be the most frugal, but I'll bet it'll have better MPGs than the Mav. It'll be weird, I've not owned a 4 cylinder car in over 8 years. I always thought I'd step up to 8 cylinders rather than dropping back down to 4! (At least it's got a whopping great turbo on it. According to my research, it's a bigger turbo than on the U.S version. I don't know why they'd alter the spec) :shrug:
I don't understand why we always seem to get the leftovers.

:cuss:

Actually, it probably has something to do with emission controls. And I agree... I never thought that I'd want something smaller than a V6, either, but I'm pretty sure that my next car will be either a 4-cylinder or a Hybrid. Direct injection is going to make a big difference in a lot of upcoming Ford models.

Big Chris said:
Watch this space, but don't be too surprised if I get my parade rained on!
If that's wifey's default setting, it might be more like your parade being picked up and launched into the nearest bordering country by a typhoon.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Two things BC,

If it has turbo you WANT an manual as turbos on auto-x sucks. You need the RPM control to have good boost off the line and two...

Your drum set will never fit like it does in the mav. :shock:

I think JP is right, you drive it and it will be hard to leave it behind.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i did wonder about the drums too Pete. But I folded the rear seats down and the impression was that the load area was comparable to the Mav. At least the drums aren't one solid mass, there's hundreds of different ways to load them, It's just a case of finding the best way for the car. Only stipulation is that they all have to fit!!

*The rear seat fold mechanism is really clever. There's a little lever in the boot......Sorry... 'Trunk' (one on each side for the corresponding seat). Pull it and the seat folds flat in an instant. No wrestling with seatbelts, seat bases and headrests. I reckon you could fold the entire rear seat flat in about 10 seconds, and it is flat too.

I'm talking myself into it, I can tell. :roll:

This is the actual one I'm looking at......

http://www.mazdaapprovedusedcarssit...REQ=app_viewVehicleDetails&StockListID=687269

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I need to fly to the U.K. or Europe and buy a damned manual SUV..... good luck with the test drive though BC! I'm pretty sure you're gonna like it too, I've read some great reviews. The only drawbacks I've heard about them was the gas mileage is poor (on our U.S.-sped AWD automatic version) as it was tested so you might look into that.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Big Chris said:
<snip> The rear seat fold mechanism is really clever. There's a little lever in the boot......Sorry... 'Trunk' (one on each side for the corresponding seat). Pull it and the seat folds flat in an instant. No wrestling with seatbelts, seat bases and headrests. I reckon you could fold the entire rear seat flat in about 10 seconds, and it is flat too.
You'll love this feature if you buy this CX-7.

That's one of the features I love about my Edge. It has rear-seat power controls, and the front passenger seat folds forward and flat. I've loaded everything from PVC and copper pipes to treated fence posts inside, with the liftgate closed.

This isn't my picture, but this is exactly what I have to the left of the inside of the liftgate (it also has a power point):

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I too was looking at a CX-7 before I bought the Escape. I never test-drove one but from all of the reviews I read I wanted one pretty bad.

This is how bad I am when I want something...I went out looking for a new SUV...I test drove this Escape and bought it on the spot :D

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I can relate to that.

:bag:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Did I forget to mention it was the FIRST new car I drove too? I didn't even take advantage of the whole car buying test drives....grrr

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
At least you picked the right car.

:thumb:

For some weird reason, I can't picture you in a RAV4.

:hyst:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
We test drove the CX-7 along with like a half dozen other small SUV's It was BY FAR the funnest! The Escape was the last one we looked at and drove. It's fun but the CX-7 was a blast. The 4 cyl was buzzy. And the low slope of the front pillar could cause a few bumps if you don't pay attention.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.