Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
20,778 Posts
Welcome to the City!!! Sorry you are having issues with your Escape. It might be helpful if you provided the model year and engine you are having the issue with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2011 escape with 84k 3.0 and believe I have a lifter tap driver’s side front cylinder. Oil is changed religiously every 3k with Mobil 1. Wanting to know if I can change the lifter without loosening the cam shaft.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Not really. OTOH, you may have a loose cam retainer cap. There are reports, though I do not know the vintage range, of cam caps becoming loose and allowing the cam to flop around. If left without tightening, the cam eventually gets too loose, and does some destruction. If you search this site, this list of problems & solutions, you should find the relevant posts.
Now, can you lift the distant end of the cam w/o loosening the timing chain may be another question. I do not know.
The followers sit on the lifter, and the tip of the valve with the lobe above pushing down upon occasion. There's not really room to maneuver the follower out w/o cam moving.
One thing that may help, if it is a bit of stuff holding the lifter valve off-seat, is to manually depress the lifter/support so that the oil has been bled from the internal chamber. Said chamber fills with oil, gets the oil trapped thus becoming 'solid' as far as compression, and bleeds(some designs) some oil out to pushrods. mostly. When the lobe comes by, it moves things to cut off the lifter from pressurized oil,. and when the lobe is gone(heel), the lifter again feels oil pressure and moves to take up any slack between lobe & follower. Rinse repeat. Collapsing may cause a flush of oil to push any problem bits out to fall back to the sump. Or not. Mostly these engines have quiet lifters, and a noisy one is uncommon.
If you were lucky,. and the noisy one was located towards the flywheel,. you might be able to loosen/remove the caps, and tilt the cam enough to sneak it out. Good luck with that.
BTW, there is an engine hoist on the front cylinder head that is a PITA to remove. I think a 19mm(whatever odd # that is NOT included in most sets) and is TIGHT. Reachable, barely,. from below, it will block removing the front cam cover, so must be removed to R&R the cam cover seals. It was not fun, and was one of those jobs that gets the black grease smudges all over your arms above the wrist. I will not complain, as I have both still appended and functional, and some do not. For that matter, God bless our servicemen and servicewomen.
tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts