Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods. do you think we can install and enable the free plugin called tapatalk. It will allow smartphone users higher availability and less annoy-ability of the site while we are away.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I was wondering today if there was a way to make this site more accessible to moble browsers. PreCentral.net has a wonderful setup that can be found at http://m.forums.precentral.net/. It's a very simple text based setup that works off the full forum. I don't know how it's set up but it would be great if we could get something like that here...

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,593 Posts
I don't know if the Pre has this problem, but the iPhone can not see any site that has flash. I am not sure how much of this site uses flash. My 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
No flash yet on the Pre. They say they are working on it and I actually saw a flash mobile promotional video that had the Pre in it. I can navigate to flash sites but I'll just see a place holder for the flash object. I don't think this site uses any flash though. It looks pretty much the same on the Pre. Everything is just tiny. Lots of zooming and scrolling. That's why I like the PreCentral mobile site, very easy to navigate, read and reply. Very quick to load as well.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump! So have the mods had a chance to talk about this? Installing the Tapatalk plugin for the smart phone users

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
This would actually be something that our awesome site admin, jpark would need to implement. Try sending him a pm. He is a very busy guy and it may take some time for him to get back with you, so please be patient. :)

I apologize for this thread being overlooked.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Resurecting this thread almost a year later... Any chance that Tapatalk will be added here?

·
Banned
105 Posts
0Escape5 said:
I have no issues accessing the site from my droid...this thing does it all.
I don't have problems from either my Thunderbolt or iPad, but Tapatalk puts it into a format that eliminates all the extra stuff (background images, ads, etc) that slow the sites down, plus the format is just a lot easier to access and read on smaller screens.

·
Super Moderator
16,329 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,329 Posts
For EC Members who are here on an iPhone,
I think Opera Mini is a better way to surf and even post on the site with this iPhone apps
Much better than Safari

French

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Hey JP. Just wondering if any thought was given to this. The Mustang club I belong to uses tapatalk on its website. Makes things nice and quick on the iPhone.

If it's not compatible with the version of phpBB you are using, maybe you van look at TouchBB Lite. I think it's only iPhone compatible buy it's free and supposedly very easy to install. Just a little something (else) to think about. :peace:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I never dismiss anything.

:D

I'll take a look at it. Things have been really busy lately.

BTW, I do have IIS binding open to http://m.escape-city.com. And, as a tease, I did get a .NET page to work with the current E-C database, so I *may* program a mobile site myself just for mobile devices (with a limited feature set and designed for speed and easy reading).

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,593 Posts
:kneel: :kneel: :kneel:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Charles said:
:kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
Yes, I get the same white screen when I look at the mobile Site on the dolphin browser on Android. I would love a tapatak or tapatak like plug-in. I know that phpBB, isn't the same as vBulletin or IPBoard. But they do support most major board systems. It looks like it had login issues in the past. It does seem that they have fixed them.
I personally use my phone to access the Web way more than I do a pc. But not having a mobile solution does make it much harder to participate and enjoy the great content this Site has to offer. I am an active member on the Taurus owners board. Tapalk makes it much more enjoyable, and accessible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
With the proliferation of mobil devices I think that Tapatalk should be a an option worth considering, especially with the android market exploding the way it has over the past year. The competition in the android market has put smart phones into the hands of a majority of the population, eyephone users make up a substancial group also. I myself rely on a smart phone (Samsung Epic Touch and a Galaxy Tab2) to stay connected to media and forums, and the forums that I participate in most include Tapatalk in there UI, except EC :doh: .
I think its time EC got up to speed with the 21th century, its lagging behind. dont get me wrong I love this forum, its got a lot of community spirit and there are a lot of good folks here that like to share with others, i visited several other forums and this forum seemed to be the most informative out there. I work on a PC often doing graphic design and when not doing actual work I need a break away from the PC and thats when i appreciate the most my smartphone, especially when out and about, like waiting at the school bus stop for my stepdaughters school bus, waiting room at the doctors office, outside during my smoke break, sitting on the porcelain throne or on the couch inbetween comercials, you get the picture. Another plus to Tapatalk is that they have a very user friendly interface to post images. :) :angel:

Just my 2 cts.

Pp.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I have to add a line to our terms and conditions that E-C is, in no way, responsible for the loss of either functionality or property when browsing the site while on the porcelain throne.

:lol:

I use the site on my iPhone once in a while, and I know what you mean. I may be moving the entire site to another server in the next month or two, I have some graphics changes I want to make, and we're one or two versions behind in phpbb right now as well. On top of all that, work has been insanely crazy recently (that's both good and bad), so that's another thing holding me back at the moment.

But I think I'll get around to adding it soon. Just promise me that you won't use it in the driver's seat while in gear.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts