Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, 2002 Escape v6 auto 4x4 I have been getting the annoying clunk from the front end when turning. I have in the last 4 months replaced axles, struts, and strut mounts, tie rods, lower control arms, sway bar links, new brakes, rotors, shoes, pads, drums and braided lines front and rear. i have checked and torqued everything. new front 1.5" lift canuck front coils. this is driving me crazy and I am starting to think I will never get it to stop. any body have same thing and figure out a fix?

DBMJ

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
i could be the sway bar bushings. but if that was the case I would assume that the clunk would happen over bumps too. it could also be the strut tower bushings.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Look at the passenger side engine mount[align=][/align].

Does it look like this?

See the difference between old and new?

A good mount should provide clearance from the metal bracket and prevent the clunk. Like this

I have seen a few of these mounts deteriorate after time and start clunking like crazy.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Great short and concise seminar Manic Mechanic. :thumb:
I am adding my personal experience, just in case.
After I had the front end of my 2004 V6 lifted 1.5" I was getting the clunk, most noticable when turning.I noticed traces of the banging at the lower control arm where it was getting pounded from the sway bar.I swapped the sway bar links with shorter ones from Focus and got rid of the clunking.
As for the top engine mounts, yes I've been through that annoyance and fixed it by putting new ones.
DBMJ211 i hope you short out this thing soon and keep us posted with your results.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for a bunch of real good answers. the sway links are new however they could be to long now i will look into that. the struts and all mounting hardware to the towers were replaced in april. front and rear motor mounts are new but i will look closer at the side mounts to see if there is any contact. again thanks to all who replied I was scratching my head and needed some new insight

Dale :rockon:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts