·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Where is the bad news?

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
monkey-1 said:
Thats awesome. You do realize that this is good news AND bad news, right? With these things getting so popular there will be more of them on the road, hence, we will have to mod them more to stand out in the crowd!
That shouldn't be a problem for you, monkey-1. You are already well on your way to having a very unique Escape !!! :clap: :clap: :thumb: :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
An expected result. Toyota has been having trouble the last couple generations of cars building vehicles that pass the impact tests, or at least score a 5. Ford just seems to be getting better, at least with the exception of the Ranger which has been unchanged basically for the past however many years they have been in production. And even then it scores better than some of the Asian brands. Who knew :shrug: buy a HiLux and have an accident your dead, buy a Ranger and your slightly mangled... :angel:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good find on the IIHS review! I've been waiting for IIHS to review the '08 Escape, since the IIHS's results are usually more highly-regarded than the NHTSA's results.

For the Escape to earn a "Top Safety Pick" from the IIHS means that Ford really redesigned the Escape's body structure.

Wow. Ford is really doing their homework.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:lol:

I had to laugh. First, the Escape:

2009 Ford Escape
Top Safety Pick: Yes
Front impact: Good
Side impact: Good
Whiplash: Good
Stability control: Standard
The IIHS calls the re-engineered Escape a "winner." The changes that pushed it to the top this year include frontal airbag and safety-belt modifications, as well as structural changes to keep passengers safer in frontal crashes.

The IIHS's ratings also apply to the hybrid version of the Escape, which is also sold as the Mercury Mariner and Mazda Tribute. (Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda, and many Ford vehicles share engineering with Mazda cars.)

The Escape was tested with front and rear head curtain airbags and front torso airbags.
Now, the Equinox:

2008 Chevrolet Equinox
Top Safety Pick: No
Front impact: Good
Side impact: Marginal
Whiplash: Marginal
Stability control: Standard
The Equinox, also sold as the Pontiac Torrent, was tested without optional side airbags, and the IIHS said its manufacturer, General Motors, did not request an additional test that included them.

The Institute said it did learn that curtain airbags will be standard in the 2009 Equinox. It plans to test the vehicle later this year.

In an email to CNNMoney, GM spokeswoman Janine Fruehan wrote, "Each GM vehicle is engineered and tested to help provide protection in more than 150 types of collisions. The IIHS side crash test is a single and very severe test."

Fruehan noted that the Equinox and the Torrent, "meet or exceed all federal safety standards and have performed very well in other consumer information tests."
If the IIHS side crash test is a "single and very severe test" (according to Janine McSpin), why did the Escape get IIHS's top grade in that test, and the Equinox didn't?

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the IIHS side crash test is a "single and very severe test" (according to Janine McSpin), why did the Escape get IIHS's top grade in that test, and the Equinox didn't?
Aren't crashes generally singular and severe? Isn't that why we have these tests? :doh:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:clap:

Something like that...

:shrug:

Remember that the first vehicle on the Equinox/Torrent platform, the last-generation Saturn Vue, also suffered from a collapsed rear suspension on both FWD and AWD versions when the NHTSA was testing it for rollover.

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/news/ ... blems/165/

The Equinox and Torrent are still using that platform (with "modifications").

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
77 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
Where is the bad news?
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE modding almost to where its sickness. But the mod money sometimes gets a little scarce....

Colleen said:
That shouldn't be a problem for you, monkey-1. You are already well on your way to having a very unique Escape !!! :clap: :clap: :thumb: :)
Thanks Colleen! You always have the nicest things to say.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
monkey-1 said:
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE modding almost to where its sickness. But the mod money sometimes gets a little scarce....
Especially when you try to tell your girlfriend that you don't have any money to take her out to do anything :doh:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Isn't that the whole point of it?

:lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Jpark, you might want to recheck the IIHS website. Now the GMC Acadia garnishes the front page...

Tim

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I saw that. IIHS changes their featured vehicle fairly often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts