Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As widely reported today:

After eight decades the Pontiac brand is about to die or be sold by GM. The auto maker will announce the end of the iconic American brand early next week. Pontiac is the latest casualty of the radical down-sizing of General Motors. The company will outline further cuts early next week, but it is GM's departure of a brand that's been around 83 years that will get the most attention.

At one point, Pontiac was as much a part of the fabric of America as Chevy and Cadillac. It gave us the GTO, Grand Prix, and Firebird. All Classic American muscle and sports cars.

My early automotive memories are centred around the Pontiac brand... my father owned a sporty red convertible when he got married, and we later owned two Pontiac Parisienne hardtops -- the second was purchased brand new in 1969 and it transported us across the prairies from Manitoba to a new life in British Columbia that same year.

By the late-1970s that last Pontiac was set for retirement... I purchased the Plymouth Valiant from my father instead of the thirsty, heavy, 2-door Parisienne (which had an amazingly small trunk for such a large vehicle and tight back seat; the hood was like the landing deck of an aircraft carrier it was so long).

By the early-1990s my father left GM behind (after a frustrating experience with a poor quality GMC Jimmy), and made the move to the Ford brand of vehicles with his first Explorer. And the rest, as they say, is history.

:cigar:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I heard about that. I was more disappointed when they got rid of Oldsmobile, which would be in its 112th year now. Pioneer of the assembly line, automatic transmission, air bags, and - most importantly - OHV engines. :yes: What did Pontiac do? ;-|

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never could see owning a vehicle with the name "Old" at the start... ;)

The other milestone Pontiac provided me with was the fastest drive I've ever had... an uncle owned a late-model 1970 Pontiac GTO "Judge" -- all black exterior and interior with the optional Ram Air IV. I coveted that vehicle as a teenager, and shortly after I acquired my drivers licence we went for a cruise up the Okanagan Valley and found a straight stretch of little travelled road far from everything. He let me take the wheel and the memory of that flat-out, pedal-to-the-metal run which briefly touched 120 MPH remains a thrill to this day.

:shock:

·
Registered
333 Posts
The news about Pontiac being dissolved being circled around the internet or other media outlets is apparently not true. Go to the Motortrend website, and you will find an offical statement about the Brand not on the chopping block, and that rumours of such a thing are not true.

The G8, Solstice GXP, and other cars are fantastic steps in the right direction...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy said:
I heard about that. I was more disappointed when they got rid of Oldsmobile, which would be in its 112th year now. Pioneer of the assembly line, automatic transmission, air bags, and - most importantly - OHV engines. :yes: What did Pontiac do? ;-|
Exactly. I think the handwriting was on the wall when they shuttered the oldest brand name in American automobiles. What were they thinking? :wall: Oldsmobile. They have no sense of esthetics, nevermind what to promote. Now they are going to kill Saturn if it doesn't sell. Nuts. We could have kept the Oldsmobile, and never been saddled with that non-historical POS; Saturn. :rant:

So what if Pontiac goes away. Hasta la Vista!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Davis137 said:
The news about Pontiac being dissolved being circled around the internet or other media outlets is apparently not true.
Hmmm... I'm still seeing lots of reports to the contrary from sites such as CNN and CNBC.

CNN just posted a few hours ago the following story: Reports of Pontiac's end sadden fans of muscular brand

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/04/25/pontiac.reaction/

Motortrend's site notes under their Thread of the Day that Pontiac's Not Dead -- Yet -- But Obit is Ready and states the end may, in fact, be approaching.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6530126/misce ... index.html

Motortrend also reports under their News section: GM's Survival Strategy: Divisions, Nameplates to Disappear

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto ... index.html

While they don't mention Pontiac, the story notes that there will be significant cuts ahead.

:bill:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I'm hoping they move the better models over to Chevy, especially the G8. It can become the new Impala, or maybe even bring back the Caprice. Maximize interior space and give it a police package. :drool:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
:( I'm really bummed about this. I know Pontiac doesn't have the history of Oldsmobile but Pontiac was my favorite car line when I was a kid. I grew up with them and I'm gonna miss the brand...

The first one was a 1972 Grand Safari Station Wagon. This thing had a 455 cu. in. motor, got 8 mpg and had the ultra-cool, disappearing, Glide-Away Tailgate. It was huge… 19 feet long and almost 5000 lbs. It was soooo big, we called it Sherman…. after the tank. We needed it too. I have 3 brothers and a sister. The seven of us would go on camping trips with a ton of gear. We had so many good times in that monster. I miss it. The pic below is the closest I could find. Ours was maroon:

My folks traded that wagon in for a 1979 LaMans Wagon. This one was a real base model. I don't think it had any options… not even A/C. It was a solid car with a strong V8 but it wasn't as good as Sherman. Here is a pic of a similar car but again, ours was maroon and no 2-tone:

In the 80's my parents purchased their first new car that wasn't a stripped down model. It was a 1984 (I think) Grand Am LE with the V6. I tried to get them to splurge for the GT but they wouldn't do it. It looked like the one in the picture below but it was blue:

That was a fun car. I loved the sound of the motor. At the time, there were no V6's that sounded like it. Deep and growly. It got my 14 year old blood going. I also liked the futuristic dash with the hockey stick shaped speedometer. That car had a few problems with the engine computer and the radio but everyone in the family really liked it.

I've always dreamt of owning a mid-70's Trans Am just like the one in Smokey and the Bandit... I still do:

As I grew older, Knight Rider came on TV and I wanted a T/A like KITT. I sketched them. I drooled over my Car & Driver and Motor Trend magazines. I read each article over and over... My younger brother actually had a black and silver '82 T/A. It was a fun car and it handled like it was on rails. It sounded great but the power was disappointing. I loved cruising around with the T-tops off. It looked similar to the one in the pic below:

That was the last Pontiac in the family. I was always hoping they would come out with another car I would love but it never really happened. I felt that the new GTO and the G8 were definitely a step in the right direction. I've thought about buying a GTO a few times but couldn't pull the trigger. I was really hoping we might see a new Trans Am based on the new Camaro. I know it was very unlikely but a man can dream… right?

That's my trip down memory lane... Hope you all liked it :)

Thanks Pontiac!

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Colleen said:
Great story, Rob ! :clap:

I very much enjoyed reading that. :)
Thanks Colleen... I'm glad :)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Loved the story, loved the pictures. Thanks for posting that.

I wish more cars were built like Sherman. Something big that you can use a bumper jack on. :D

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
:lol: Yea... that wagon was as solid as anything. I think I could have hit it with a mallet without damaging it. Crumple zones? We don't need no stinkin' crumple zones... :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
=\ I was never a fan of Pontiac.. I'm Hardcore Ford to the bone. I owned 4 GM products..

1986 Camaro (Motor died at 70K)
1998 Grand Prix (Trans dropped at 110K)
2004 Malibu (Motor went at 20K)
1972 Trans AM (The motor literally caught fire)

Never cared for Mopar either.. went through 2 of them.. A 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport that the head went in and an 01 Stratus that the head went in..

The Grand Prix was the most miles I ever had on a car until Ford..
2000 i4 Ranger.. heads gave out at 195k..
2000 Taurus.. Sold it at 140k and It's still going..
1990 Aerostar.. 300k origional motor and trans.. My dad was the only owner.. just sold it for 500.
Now, my 2001 Escape.. Hands down the best vehicle I've owned. 118k.

I presume, to each his own.. But I'm just not anything but a Ford guy.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It's quite sad to see any brand to disappear -- especially domestic. I too was sad when Olds went bye-bye (and Plymouth prior to that). I had an Alero at the time. It was a good car. I've also had a couple of Plymouths.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts