Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 10w-30 Synthetic

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am going to start changing my oil myself to save some money. I have a local Auto Zone a mile away from my house that will recycle my used oil for free. What kind of oil should I get? I have a 2007 4x4 XLT V6. I know that 5W-20 is the kind that Ford recommends. Is there a better brand? Should I go Synthetic? How many miles can I go before my next change which each oil? These are all must know's people! :bill:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You should be able to go 5-8,000 miles with a mineral oil or a synthetic blend, and 8-10,000 miles with a full synthetic. Possibly more with the synthetic if you do an oil analysis at 8,000 miles and it comes back with the oil looking great.

As for oil, if you want to go full synthetic, go with Pennzoil Platinum in 5W-20 or 0W-20. If not synthetic, Motorcraft blend is your best bet.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,585 Posts
I admit it. I went to Full Synthetic Oil at my last oil change. I was amazed at how well the Escape seemed to drive after the oil change. I am 3,000 to 4,000 miles into this oil change. I will probably get it changed at about 5,000 to 6,000 miles and adjust my interval based on the results.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i have used penzoil, mobile 1, and now im using castrol syntex, i have not noticed a difference in them yet other then the price, it seems mobil 1 is usually about 6 bucks cheaper for the 5L jug. im ising the castrol cause it was on sale for the same price as the mobile 1, in 3000km i will be doing my next oil change at its 10,000km mark and i will go back to mobile 1 if its the cheapest at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
Ok so I am going to start changing my oil myself to save some money. I have a local Auto Zone a mile away from my house that will recycle my used oil for free. What kind of oil should I get? I have a 2007 4x4 XLT V6. I know that 5W-20 is the kind that Ford recommends. Is there a better brand? Should I go Synthetic? How many miles can I go before my next change which each oil? These are all must know's people! :bill:
The 5W-20 oil from Motorcraft is a synthetic blend, but Motorcraft also offers a full synthetic 5W-20 oil.
Full synthetic for most people is probably a little overkill, especially for our non-high performance engines in our E/M/T trio. A synthetic blend is probably the best value for most of us. You get some of the synthetic qualities with some of the lower cost of dino oil, and will allow you to go a little longer between oil changes, depending on your driving style, of course.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Using that oil change forumla I posted, I try to pick whichever oil makes that particular car go one year between changes. I run top end synthetic HDEO in the daily commuters with 20,000 km intervals, and the weekend around town car gets mineral oil and 10,000 km intervals (formula says the engine is good for that much on just mineral oil -\/- ). For the Escape I use a standard non-HDEO full synthetic with 10,000 km intervals.

·
Registered
261 Posts
5w-20 Castrol Syntec and Purolator PureOne filters.

She's got 80,000 miles on her now!!! and still running strong.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
0W-30 synthetic here, but you don't have that so I had to pick 5W-30. ;-|

I think Ford actually recommends a blend, instead of just straight mineral oil.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use 0-20 weight Mobil 1 in my Hybrid.......

~John

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whaaaa is this a poll?? -snicker snicker :)P

Well, Synthetic Mobil 1 5-W20 for me! Due to constant 90+ degree temps here I leave it in for just 5000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts