Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to show you guys the way i did my headlight mod including the inside painting

I would start with the things you will need to get this mod done

1. Headlights (ebay,junkyard,dealer......your option)

2. Headlight connectors (best place is a junk yard off of an old ford focus or you can buy them online but they are expensive so i took the junkyard route)

3.Electrical tape
4.Connectors male and female.

5.The relay for the high beam(http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... e=PB486-ND).Also check this thread for more details of the wiring diagram: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=466&p=75485#p75485

6.14 gauge wire and wire wrap to make it look factory.

Now as far as opening and painting this is what you will need:

1.Heat gun (harbour tools for 12 bucks)or you can use an oven but you still need the heat gun to close them up.

2.A wide tool used for separating the lens from the housing(five in one,butter knife or what ever you have around).DO NOT USE A FLAT HEAD SCREW DRIVER FOR THIS.YOU WILL DAMAGE THE SEAM.

3.Get some hand gloves also because they will protect your hands from heat.

4.You will need lots off clamps used when you are ready to close the lamp back.

5.Masking tape

6.Sand paper and optional a dremel if you have (I used the circular wire brush to sand the tight areas.)

7. Primer, paint(get something that withstands heat),clear.

And now for the oven but (this is optional),you can skip the oven route and just use the heat gun. I've used the oven but not with much success because i undercook them so i had to jump on the heat gun too.

8.Clear silicone to seal the seam all around.

9.I've used aluminum tape(you need to cover every opening so you can keep the heat from getting on the inside of the lamp) and aluminum foil tape for the oven.

Ok so here is how i did it:
I had to remove all the bulbs,sockets the cap and cap bracket and tape the opening with aluminum tape(pic above)
I've used the oven for the first part but with not much success.I preheated it to 220* and left the headlight in for 8 min.

Then i took them out and continued with the heat gun around the seam until the plastic got soft enough to start prying.I started prying at the middle top of the lamp:

Keep the seam hot and keep prying until they crack open.

This is what i got after opening:

The turnlight housing comes off with the lens.So i unskrewed the housing off the lens with a torx:

After that i removed my side reflector:

Then i've sanded and masked:

Next step :primer,paint and clear:

I've let the paint dry over night and then i cleaned the lens real good and started the heat gun again.Now is the time to use those clamps
I've started by heating the glue real good before i set the lens back:

After the lens got back in to it's place i had to let it cool real good and then i've applied clear silicone all around the seam for a good seal and for cheap insurance:

I don't have a pic ,but what i did to finish this is i've taped around the seam and painted the clear silicone on the top of the light so it doesn't stand out that much.I guess you can use black silicone but this is what i had.

So i've left from this:

to this:

I'm just showing you how i did it and it does not mean you have to do the same! If you want to do this please use your judgement,don't burn your self or your house.Be safe and work with patience. :D :peace: :peace:
Thank you.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nice work! I'm old school really appreciate when somebody (you) puts a little time in a project and does it as nice as you have instead of just throwing money at their ride and coming up with something a thousand other people have. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Awesome thread!! Love your pics and steps. Thanks for posting and sharing! Looks great!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dasha said:
Awesome thread!! Love your pics and steps. Thanks for posting and sharing! Looks great!!
Oh no problem....It was my pleasure to post this.
I have some other little mods done.I will take some pics and post all of them one day.
I like to share every mod that i've done so that way maybe other people will share too :thumb:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well, that was certainly a thorough, but interesting little modification you made! I did something like this to my Focus I used to have, though I just replaced the entire headlamp assemblies with ST170 Headlights and replacement honeycomb upper and lower grilles from Germany.

Let us know/see what else you've got planned!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Davis137 said:
Well, that was certainly a thorough, but interesting little modification you made! I did something like this to my Focus I used to have, though I just replaced the entire headlamp assemblies with ST170 Headlights and replacement honeycomb upper and lower grilles from Germany.

Let us know/see what else you've got planned!
Yeah i will post every modification that i'll do. I like to share with people so that people will share too :lol: .
I just wish the aftermarket was offering more stuff for these trucks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
goldash03 said:
sclift said:
great mod! i wonder if such a thing could be done to the 08+ escapes. :?
You can do it.I don't see any problems !!
The headlights are beautiful! lol

Also love how you and I both have our headlight pics as our avatar. :yes:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[/quote]

Also love how you and I both have our headlight pics as our avatar. :yes:[/quote]

Thanks man!
I would probably give them some more time the way they are right now and take them off and dress them up with some custom angel eyes or AUDI style light bar. I would actually like to put my hands on a set from Europe where they have the separate white parking light bulb.

·
Registered
556 Posts

Also love how you and I both have our headlight pics as our avatar. :yes:[/quote]

Thanks man!
I would probably give them some more time the way they are right now and take them off and dress them up with some custom angel eyes or AUDI style light bar. I would actually like to put my hands on a set from Europe where they have the separate white parking light bulb.[/quote]

Agreeed, I def want to put an LED strip on the bottom of the headlights! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
vaalaav said:
Отличная работа, мужик! :thumb:
+1 :thumb:

Good job man :lol:

A warm welcome to you vaalaav :thumb: :welcome:

Frenchy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts