Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the stock size of my Escape's tires are 235 70 16....I found some BFG All Terrain K/O's here in Indy that I may get for cheap...still waiting on hearing back from the seller...but his are 245 70 16. Here are the specs of each:

Two questions...will it fit...and if it fits how do I recalibrate my speedo?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It will fit, and you can recalibrate your speedo using your X-Cal (you have one, right?). There is a setting somewhere that lets you input either revolutions per mile, or overall diameter - not too sure about that.

Your tire pressures will need adjusting from the factory recommendation. I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, so no time to do the math - I will figure it out tonight, unless you want to dig up my "Intersting formulas" thread.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Pollkat posted this for me in another thread:

Here is a calculator for your speedometer. You may have to scroll down a bit. Tire/Speedometer calculator
HERE
From this, I see a 1.9% increase in tire size, negligable really. I went up to 255/65/16 on the stock rims, which was 0.34% difference. Do you want wider or taller? I wanted wider, and they are noticably wider but they don't stick out. I also remember someone mentioning not to go over 255 anyways, for suspension clearance issues.

The only downside I have to my new tires (General Grabber UHP, street summer tires) are the fact that they are alot heavier than the old ones, increasing unsprung weight and degrading acceleration slightly. It's noticable to me but I still like the tires. I see the 245s are 7 lbs heavier than the 235s so keep that in mind.

Good luck!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah to follow up on what Ajax said, increasing unsprung weight can cause your steering wheel to shake at high speeds until you slow down. FYI

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took out my sub box...would that make up for the difference in weight? lol

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
sorry, double post

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
you sub box wont affect your un sprung weight lol. your unsprung weight is everything below your springs. brakes, rims, tires lower control arms etc.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
whoa whoa whoa! NEVER TAKE OUT A SUB! Unless you're replacing it with a different one lol

Unsprung weight is the weight of the wheel and tire combo, the part that's "hanging" off the axle. The suspension is designed to have X amount of weight on it, and it should perform as designed with that amount of weight on it. When you change it to X+7 by adding the heavier tire, it will change it. How much, I can't tell you :shrug:

I haven't had any of the high speed shimmy's like Pupster mentioned, that may be a balance issue, I only noticed the slight decrease of pickup at low speeds.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Ajax I took out my sub box cuz I need more room to transport my dog. I hooked up my stock sub to my amp so that I can still get some air movement. The stock Conti's weigh about 32lbs according to Tire Rack...So in reallity it is a 13lb difference per tire...Does that seem like it would be too much?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Imo, 13# unsprung is a bit much. Heavyier tires do affect your stopping ability, but imo it's a trade off with the additional grip provided by the larger (if ever so slight) contact area of the tread surface. Suit yourself, it maybe ok.

Another thought is that if you increase the width of the tire much your messing with the bump steer of you Escape. Wider tires have more bump steer, and that is a further degradation of your Escapes handling.

If you don't know about bump steer, click on this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_Steer

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Those tires seem real heavy, the 255/65/16 Generals I put on only weight 3 lbs more than my stock Goodyears (35 lbs. to 32) so I'm not sure how that heavy of a tire will affect you. I don't have any problems with my wider tires for deflection or tracking (two things I heard were problems with wide tires). Are you running stock rims still? One thing I also noticed is that people put aftermarket rims on vehicles and alot of them are signifigantly heavier, especially when they move up to 18s or higher. Maybe someone with upsized rims can chime in with some advice...

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup still running stock rims...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Edge rims and factory tires will fit the Escape.

Just an FYI.

:D

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not exactly the response I was looking for lol

·
Registered
611 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
Ok so the stock size of my Escape's tires are 235 70 16....I found some BFG All Terrain K/O's here in Indy that I may get for cheap...still waiting on hearing back from the seller...but his are 245 70 16. Here are the specs of each:

Two questions...will it fit...and if it fits how do I recalibrate my speedo?
They would be 1.9% bigger. If your speedo reads 70 mph, you'll really be going 71.33mph. You should be able to change it with your Xcal.
edit; sorry for the double answer. I should have read more of the replies

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes you should have PK :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I have BFG Radial Long Trail T/A on my F-150. They wear like iron underwear. Not the most comfortable ride, not the best in the wet (not bad, just not the best), and they have over 35K miles on them and are only half worn down. :yes: I may replace them due to age rather than wearing out. :thumb:

Would I recommend them to someone looking at a set of BFGs? I don't think so, unless you want a long wearing tire and don't mind some ride harshness. I think I will go back to the Michelin tires that I had before these. They wore out in 25K miles, rode nicely, gripped great even in the wet, and didn't last until they were over five years old. For about the same money.

BTW, make sure that you get tires put on your truck that are less than a year old. Old tires are no deal! After five years of age they are considered unsafe by the DOT, Insurance companies and now the Police are looking at them if your involved in an collision. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the 245...is that the width or the diameter of the tire? Is it too big?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'd go with the additional width, personally.
That said, I'm on contis, and those things spin at the lightest throttle prod, and me being a bit of a leadfoot, I get tons of wheelspin, and I want to minimise that. Also, I slide like I'm ice skating in hard cornering. Okay, so it's not that bad, but I have a lot of grip issues. So personally, I'd take the trade for more grip.

Also, I used to drive a chevy p/u that ran on 225 70 r15 from the factory. I upped it to 265 60 r15s, and I didn't notice much of a degrade, and that was an additional 3mm of sidewall and 40mm of tire. I can't tell you what the weight difference was, as it was years ago, but the additional grip was worth the trade, imo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts