Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm going on a very long trip across the country here in about 2 months, and a lot of the driving I'll be doing will be at night. So, I was thinking about adding a set of powerful driving lights to cut through the darkness on the long dark roads I'll be hitting. This is my Tribute, here's where I think I have some space to spare:

Thoughts? What brands would you run? I want black housings, rectangular shapes to fit right in, my budget is$ 70-90 or so for the set.

My current lighting is already altered a bit, I have Philips +80 main headlight bulbs, and a Japanese-brand yellow fog light in the factory fog position. These two work well for the city, but I think I could do better with an aux set.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Looks like what I did for a while.

The lights were made by Blazer, which might be a Canadian brand. They had a set of low-profile fog lights which look exactly like a set RyanRage installed, and he called them "Pilot" lights - so that may be who makes them across the border.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You should be able to find a set of lower-end Hellas for that price. I've had good luck with them. Will you be driving a lot of barren, 2-lane roads? That many lights probably won't be legal in most states -- if there are others on the road.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the bottom two are factory fogs, but I hear ya. Thing is, the factory Mustang has this many lights, so I imagine its OK.

I was thinking Hella, specifically they have a set of black rectangular lights that look nice and out of the way. I've got a few priorities before these go in (I'm retrofitting the factory dash to accept a Navigation / DVD head unit), but its good to plan ahead.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
679 Posts
what about hid?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Do you have inspections? The laws usually limit the amount of lights over a certain intensity that can be turned on at the same time (e.g., you can have twelve lights on the front but only four can be on at the same time). That night picture of mine is technically illegal here (no more than four lights of over 300 candela), but I would never have the aux lights on in the fog anyways.

If you have no inspections, you should be fine as long as you keep from lighting the auxiliary lights in another driver's face. Right now I have 100 W off-road lights that I only use when I can't even catch a glimpse of headlights or taillights, although some states do require high-powered off-road lights to be covered when on the roads.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think crazy-powerful lights are limited to off-road duty, but driving lights are OK. We have a LOT of ricers here in Vegas (who doesn't?!), and sometimes these guys have all sorts of funky lighting changes, like a row of driving lights across the bottom grille or something silly. I think as long as I keep it stock-ish and clean, there won't be much flak. Also, these will only be on when I need them, on unlit highway roads in the deepest boonies.

I like this hella dual model:

These:

These from Rallylights.com :

More to follow..I lost my links and I'm digging

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.