Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know that it's very easy to replace your amber side repeaters with the clear ones from a Ford Ranger? carefully remove the side repeater/indicator. (I used a flexible card such as my Blockbuster card placed it under the indicator, pushed back and pulled toward me at the same time, it pops right out.)

The bulb insert for the Maverick/Escape/Tribute has 4 small 'ears' that enter the indicator unit, but the Ranger indicator only has 2 small slots into which these 'ears' can enter.

It's simple really. File or cut down two of the opposing ears on the bulb holder until you can push the holder into the new clear indicator and twist. Hey presto! job done! Snap the indicator back into the fender, as the holes are identical.

As you can see from my sig pic. It's a very simple/cheap but effective mod. :smile:

*Don't forget, you will also need an amber bulb to replace the existing clear one.* :doh:

·
Registered
71 Posts
HAHAHA! I was just looking at your sig in another post, and was about to start a new thread over here about side repeaters!! Has anyone installed these on their N/A Escapes? It's something I miss from my previous car, I just dont have the guts to drill into my fenders (if its even that easy) lol

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Very cool. I prefer amber reflectors for the front turn signal, but the repeaters do look better clear.

Instead of side repeaters I installed LED turn signal mirrors on my North American Escape.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im pretty sure we have to use amber for the front in ontario squishy. so if you were to install them im not sure you could go with clear unless you used an amber bulb.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
The amber bulb wouldn't work either. I believe it's federal law that we need amber reflectors, not just bulbs.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CrashNburn said:
im pretty sure we have to use amber for the front in ontario squishy. so if you were to install them im not sure you could go with clear unless you used an amber bulb.
Ooops....yeah i didn't mention the actual bulb. :doh:

I replaced the clear bulb with an amber one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Reflectors yes, bulbs, not so much...I've been pulled over before for having blue LEDs in my front turn signals, stupid, I know...I was young back then. Anyways, the nice police officer told me I had to have either white or amber light emmiting from the front of my vehicle. Fine, I changed them for PIAAs. Move forward 4-5 years, get pulled over again for having white turn signals in the front. Police officer tells me I need to have amber lights in the front and mine are blue (???). I politely told him they were white, and was pulled over before because of this and was informed they had to be either white or amber. 15 Minutes later, he comes back and says he cant find that specific part in his books, so he'll let me off with a warning. As I'm about to leave, he runs back to my car to inform me that I was correct and that the law states white or amber, but that mine were blue when off (blue coating on the bulb) and could be seen as illegal. So that;s my litle story, hope ya'll enjoyed it! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
does that mean that i can replace my front headlights with euro ones that have a clear cover and use an amber bulb for my front turn signal?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requires you to have amber reflectors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.