Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2001 XLT 3.0L V6 that I just recently purchased at 140000kms. I've been noticing some things like the gas pedal needs an extra push when starting up from a complete stop because it's a little sticky, and the car rocks back and forth when idling. I've done some research and I think what needs to be done is the throttle body and IAC need to be cleaned. The local Ford dealer wants to charge me $250 to do this but I understand that it's a pretty easy task for even a noob such as myself to do? So this is where you guys come in! I'm on here for instructions on how to go about doing this specifically for an Escape 3.0L. There are some instructions online, but nothing specifically for the Escape, such as where everything is located. The owner's manual is no help in this department either. Any comment is greatly appreciated. When I say i need to know everything, I mean EVERYTHING from does the engine have a cover on it? Is that the thing that says V6 DOHC when you open up the hood? What tools do I need? Is there any chance of ruining the engine at all by a noob doing this? Please let me know, anything will be helpful!! :)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Refer to the pic, I know that this has a modified air intake (blue thing) but this should be your engine, if anyone has any other input please join in as I dont have this year EMTor worked on this vehicle, but instructions are basic. Find a socket that will take off the cover,I beleive there are 2. That will reveal the thottle body cables (maybe) and that will help you open and close the throttle body plate. But if you look at the pic you throttle body should already be visible its the unit that is hooked up to the blue coupling in this pic (closer to the center of the pic). You can do 2 things remove the whole throttle housing or just clean it from there. You can use thottle body cleaner or carbuerater cleaner. spray the inside plate and open up the plate and spray the inside The IAC (refer to second pic) that can be taken off and sprayed out too make sure to save the gasket and make sure IAC is dry prior to being reinstalled. And reinstall everyhing back together after everthing has dried.

Third pic is the inside of the IAC cleans and unclean

This what I beleive you have

1 - 2 of 2 Posts