Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 escape v6 and whenever my engine is even slightly cool it has this annoying ticking when i accelerate. i wonder if it could be an exhaust leak towards the front? any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Can you get the ticking to appear when lightly accelerating in Park? If so, can you get a helper to do that while listening if the ticking is more pronounced when you listen from above the engine or below (through the radiator or wheel wells)?

An exhaust leak tick usually gets louder as you go lower, while valvetrain noise is more towards the top.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea it will do it in park. next time im not driving nonstop all day i'll take a listen.... this may be awhile.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i listened to it and its coming from up near the top of my engine bay. hopefully i dont need a rebuilt head... i just cant find anyone who's had this problem and found a solution.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Has the engine ever been overheated?

First try some 91 octane gas - sometimes a knock will sound like a tick through the insulation. What brand and weight of oil are you using? Also, what brand of oil filter do you use?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll try some 91 next fillup. and i use mobil-1 synthetic 5w-20 and a fram tg2 filter(fram, dont kill me please)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Most of the ticking caused by Fram filters is because of the nitrile ADBV, but your Tough Guard uses a silicone ADBV so it should be okay. The oil should also be okay.

Have you isolated the noise to the front bank, or just the top of the engine? I can't remember if our injectors are visible - if they aren't buried under the intake manifold, unplug one at a time and see if the noise will go away.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
to see the spark plugs will will need to remove the plastic cover, and you will only be able to wee three, the other three are buried under the intake.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i changed my spark plugs a month or so ago because my car felt like it was misfiring and i honestly dont think i've ever changed them, but it didnt change a thing... that wouldnt be the cause though

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
how many km/mi do you have on the vehicle??

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 03 escape regularly got an exhaust leak at one of the banks. Ford used to simply re-torque it to solve. New gasket would be a better option I guess.

My 06 doesnt have the problem

Nigel

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well im getting a magnaflow soon, when i do, i'll change all of the gaskets up in front of the cat-back system while i'm at it

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you have the v6, it can sound like its coming from the top if an exhaust leak is occuring from the top of the gasket.

I had run with the same on an 03 for ages. Ford eventually sorted it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts