Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather is gorgeous here in New Jersey today and since I somehow got out of jury duty, it is time to give the Escape some love and detail her. Any body have techniques or products they really like?

Im just going basic today:

Westley's Belche-White and Meguiars Hot Shine on the tires
Powerwash and rubdown with Meguiars Gold Class wash
Meguairs NXT 2.0 wax after claying
Meguiars back to black on all the non painted plastic.

I will be dedicating a whole day once the weather is more consistent to use the Zaino system. So any other detailers out there????

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am a detailer. Just cleaned my entire vehicle yesterday in the beautiful weather.

For the interior dash parts I use Vinylex from Lexol. It is far better than any Armor All interior product. The best part is that it will not fog the windows whne the vehicle sits in the heat. Armor All used to break down and evaporate and fog up my windshield. Since discovering Vinylex, I haven't needed to clean the windshiled more than 2x a year.

I also use it for all of the black parts on the outside like mirrors, handles, mud flaps etc. The UV protection this stuff offers is great. Keeps the black parts looking factory new. I haven't yet waxed the vehicle as the weather has been horrid up until this weekend. I will soon though..

Their other products are great too if you have leather interior.

http://www.lexol.com/vinindex.html

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just finished up my car. I found something nifty at pepboys today. Never knew that Meguiars made a swirl-x too. Didn't want to take the time today to pull out the porter cable and really get rid of the swirls, but the swirl-x does a decent job even by hand.

Spent alot of time prepping the sufaces today though. I was already going to clay, but when I saw the scratches that were all over the car I took the time to get rid of them. I bought mine used and it was a rental. I guess they took it to auto carwashes because the amount of paint damage was crazy. Luckily it cleaned up just enough to tide me over.

Heres some after shots.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Very nice. :thumb: Makes me wish I had the time right now to get my ride that clean.

:stop: Your double parked in the wheel chair spaces! :stop:
We must set a good example here in the city. :yes:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use autoglym polishes on my convertible - they're a little trickier to get on this side of the pond but still available & do a fantastic job.

I haven't had the weather to go over the Escape yet but since it's a DD it'll be done with Meguiars NXT gen II (still good but a fair bit cheaper & easier to get hold of).

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
yeah it's detailing time... I've got a couple of car shows coming up for my '63, but that'll have to wait until my Escape is done. It usually takes me about 2 weeks for the '63, and about two days for the Escape. Go figure. I think it has to do with the differences in sizes..

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
lol...just the opposite side of the magnet. I'll end up with a green Escape eventually... Yellow and Blue make Green... :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Claying is when you take a piece of detailing clay and rub it along your car's painted surface. It helps remove contaminants and things that stick to your paint making it not so smooth. It is the first step in getting a really glassy, smooth look to your car.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
First time I tried the clay bar was on my '63 Buick. I figured what the heck. Only problem was I was doing it in the driveway. I was in the morning, and by the time I had finished it was early afternoon. I got a pretty good migraine headache from the glare. That stuff works great. Makes the car "Pop" (as said by my neighbor). I put it back into the garage and had to lay down. lol... Finished it off the next day.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have to be careful with clay though. It is only good to use it a couple of times. Once it start to accumulate alot of debris it needs to be thrown out. If you drop it on the ground you should also get rid of it, because you will just scratch paint. Other wise it really does make the finished product a little bit nicer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm ashamed to admit this - but my Escape gets the least attention. I start in the Spring detailing my MGB and getting it ready for car shows. Then I detail my wifes Beetle convertible. By then I've done more 'wax on, wax off' than the Karate Kid.

But you could eat off the engine compartment of any of my cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ive questioned using the clay but wasnt too sure about it but now im getting in wih some body work so ill find some more out. cant wait to do the touch up on the escape. what do you guys use to do the unpainted plastics? armour all wipes dont last too long lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hemi escape said:
ive questioned using the clay but wasnt too sure about it but now im getting in wih some body work so ill find some more out. cant wait to do the touch up on the escape. what do you guys use to do the unpainted plastics? armour all wipes dont last too long lol
I have tried Mother Back to Black and Meguiars Trim Detailer. The meguiars i used for about a year. It looks really good when you apply it, came in a spray can (dont think it does anymore), and was very easy to apply, but it does not last long at all. I used Back to Black for the first time last monday and it still looks great. Granted the sun is not nearly at it's strongest yet, so who know how quickly it evaporates, but so far it looks great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts