Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
So I've been tinkering around with my new 2010 Escape.

So far the only thing I've completed is the tint on the front windows to match the factory tint in the back.
However, I ordered a black bull bar. I was unsure whether or not I'd like it, so I figured I would get it, "try it on" if you will, and decide then.

While the bull bar comes with instructions, I am impatient and have a question. What is the attachment on the front of my truck (I'm sure I could look it up quite easily, but it's just oh so much easier to ask) that is circled in green below? It lowers the front end of my truck and I'm not sure I like the appearance of it. Also, I assume it has to be removed in order to put a bull bar on? What is its purpose and the repercussions of removing it?

Thanks all.

And, of course, I will post pictures of the bull bar as soon as it is here and installed. I can't wait either.

·
Registered
501 Posts
bwomp91 said:
Also, I assume it has to be removed in order to put a bull bar on? What is its purpose and the repercussions of removing it?

I believe it would affect fuel economy..

"Automobile Magazine points out that some of the changes serve a purpose: "Small aerodynamic modifications also contribute to fuel efficiency and reduce interior noise levels," they observe, adding, "A deeper front spoiler and small spoilers in front of the rear wheels improve under-body airflow for decreased drag to slightly improve mileage." Popular Mechanics concludes that the exterior changes "are subtle, and include a front spoiler for slicker aerodynamics..."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/ ... ord-escape

Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I don't have the Bull Bar, but I do have a full rack and assume you have a similar mounting arrangement.

I've had 2 bars on the front, one did not require cutting, but the other one, which looks better and in my opinion is mounted much more securely, did require I make cut outs in that plastic flap.

My current one (that I like better than the old) mounts with 2 bolts on each side, one through the tow hook, the other vertical into the bumper. 2 support brackets go in at an angle to a cross member in front of the radiator. This arrangement has been very secure thus far. It was more difficult to install than my first one, but also looks much better.

I can't say if this will be the same as an Escape after 2007 as the front end changed significantly in appearance, I don't know if the framework under there is still the same or not.

As for your plastic flappy thing. In my case I have a 2001 with well over 100k miles, I grabbed a knife and started hacking, not going to hurt anything to loose it was my viewpoint, and I was positive I wanted the Brush Guard on permanently. If it's like mine, you probably wont want to completely remove it as it's attached to the splash guards, and while they are flimsy as cardboard, they are pretty large pieces to remove and connect in with the splash guards in the wheel wells. However you might remove it long enough to see if you like the guard, then carefully make the cut outs for it if needed. (It may not even need to be cut, depending on the mounting arrangement.)

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Some 08 and 09ers who have installed the bull bar have cut the chin spoiler and removed the parts where the bull bar would go... therefore still getting some of the fuel efficiency that comes from having the spoiler while also having the bull bar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did think about removing this front flap myself having concerns about front clearance. Since i lifted the front end 1.5", it became of a lesser matter for me. With a front guard, i guess i would remove it not for the front end to look "nose heavy". I guess it would relief the general "busy" look. I would not care much about fuel economy since if it was of any concern, i would have bought a car. ;-)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I probably understand the tint and the...more, but I am totally confused with the bull-bar on an Escape.What does it do, besides adding weight to the front end of an already front biased weight distribution and eliminating the escape angle of the vehicle?

·
Registered
168 Posts
SUVord said:
I probably understand the tint and the...more, but I am totally confused with the bull-bar on an Escape.What does it do, besides adding weight to the front end of an already front biased weight distribution and eliminating the escape angle of the vehicle?
I fitted my nudge bar for a couple of reasons...one being aesthetics (in my view it looks better).. also somewhere to attach driving lights and CB aerial (CB is essential for outback travel, believe me). It does actually offer protection against minor encounters with the local wildlife as well. Here in Australia we have plenty of small to medium size animals that love to throw themselves in front of cars...especially on long drives in the country at night. In some parts of the country it is nothing to have to slow down to 30-40kph for hours so as not to hit wallabies and the like.
I once drove from the west coast of Tasmania to Hobart and a trip that should take 2.5 hours took closer to 4 hours because it was night and there were so many animals on the road.

As for affecting the entry and/or departure angle..yes..it does that, but knowing the capabilities and limitations of the Escape (both with and without the bar), I've never had too many problems in that department (touch wood).

Of course.. everyone is different and as you'd expect everyone's reasons for adding accessories to their Escape will most likely be different to mine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My escape is similar to yours, it is not a SAP Escape, but I have modded it with a black grille and spoiler. I was considering the bull bar as well, but the longer I thought about it, I thought it would take away from the "sport" look my Escape had.

It's all about personal preference, but I am not a fan of cutting anything from my car.

I wish I could find those black wheels somewhere...?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
NYCescape said:
My escape is similar to yours, it is not a SAP Escape, but I have modded it with a black grille and spoiler. I was considering the bull bar as well, but the longer I thought about it, I thought it would take away from the "sport" look my Escape had.

It's all about personal preference, but I am not a fan of cutting anything from my car.

they were on sale on eBay! I had a link in Swap and Shop

here's the direct URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0655090784

·
Registered
574 Posts
Tang said:
NYCescape said:

they were on sale on eBay! I had a link in Swap and Shop

here's the direct URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0655090784
Yeah I saw your post, they are still there, but I'm not sure it is worth the money right now, as I would someday like to buy a BMW and save money in general!

It would require me buying new tires as well, since I have the 16s on my escape now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
[/quote]

Yeah I saw your post, they are still there, but I'm not sure it is worth the money right now, as I would someday like to buy a BMW and save money in general!

[/quote]

A BMW... nice car.. but have a good look at an Audi.... ;)

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Wait! You're forgetting this one...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks fantastic!!

I have mine set up almost exactly the same way. I don't have the Sport Appearnace Package, but I have similar aftermarket black wheels.

You look like you're rockin' an undercover police vehicle now! On that note, you should stick one of these emblems on each side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Police-C ... ccessories

The link says they're for Crown Vics, but they look great as fender emblems on a blacked-out Escape. (Mounted where the V6 emblems are on some models, near the front fenders.)

I sprayed mine with clearcoat paint before affixing them. Everyone will assume you have some sort of special edition police escape.
(Disclaimer: I don't condone actual impersonation. These are perfectly legal, since you're not proclaiming departmental affiliation, or even stating the word "Police.")

·
Registered
501 Posts
Really cool! makes me want one!! :lol:

·
Registered
574 Posts
That is awesome! May I ask where you got the bull bar and did you install it yourself. I dont have the SAP package, but I do have the black grille and spoiler on my Escape.

I would love to get the black wheels and now that I see the black bull bar on a black escape (with NJ plates too) I really like it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
how sturdy is it

1 - 20 of 63 Posts