Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
did my taillights, fender signals, and driving lights. you want to do as many thin layers as posible. if you try to pull it off in one coat it will run and ruin it. also do a light wet sand before starting the first coat. i did mine in about 5 light smoke coats and 3 light clear coats and they turned out very well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
what would you recommend for the headlights? vht or a smoked cover/adhesive film?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
hattrick203 said:
what would you recommend for the headlights? vht or a smoked cover/adhesive film?
Be sure to check the regulations in your area before adding any tint or colour over your headlights. Some jurisdictions are pretty strict about having the lights remaining unobstructed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ive tried all 3 methods. Ordered the headlight vinyl and couldnt get it to work, what a pia. Then did spray tint which is very easy. Finally for the headlights i didnt want them permanent because of laws so i got the AVS covers - very good and easy to put on and take off.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've seen many success with spray, but I'm sure there have been many failures as well. I wouldn't trust myself to possibly ruin a tail. I've used Lamin-X with success on small fogs, and am thinking of buying again. However, I think it would be painful if you had many curves/contours. Your best bet (and cheapest) with the law is to leave them stock. If you are afraid of rock chips, buy the film for front lenses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been debating the same thing. I'm not sure I want to spray something on my lights, at least with the film it's removable if need be.

I think I'm going to go with the Lamin-X route, and have a professional tinter install them for me. That way, chances are they'll do a great job, and most tinters have some sort of warranty if it bubbles or comes off. A few more bucks, but less hassle in the long run..

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just don't understand why someone would want to do this to their vehicle. for at least 3 months out of the year up here in the north we drive around in dirty salty cars. The film on there is dark enough, and then compound it with tinted lenses you can barely see someone is stopping in front of you at sunset. The point of front/rear lighting is for both your and others safety.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SilverAthlon said:
I just don't understand why someone would want to do this to their vehicle. for at least 3 months out of the year up here in the north we drive around in dirty salty cars. The film on there is dark enough, and then compound it with tinted lenses you can barely see someone is stopping in front of you at sunset. The point of front/rear lighting is for both your and others safety.
You could also say:
Why do people put loud systems in their cars? You might not be able to hear emergency vehicles approaching or someone beeping their horn to avoid an accident...

Why ride a sport bike? They are way too fast for the streets and can be dangerous...

Why have a radar detector? If you have one, you are more likely to speed, which is breaking the law and also not safe...

Because some people think tinted tail lights look good!
But hey, I also have a gixxer and had a loud system and hardwired radar detector in my last truck...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts