Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Tire feathering/road noise. ContiTracs?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jonas1022 
#1 ·
I have slight tire feathering on 2 newer tires that the previous owner put on this truck. The back 2 are feathered as well, alot worse. I doubt they were ever rotated. All 4 are Continental ContiTracs. Has anyone else had feathering issues with these? I read on Tire Rack's site in the reviews that a lot of people were not happy, but did not see why really. Thanks!

#2 ·
The E/M/T came from the Ford house in K.C. with them installed if it's an 08 or earlier. How early? I dunno, but the tires are what most folks complain about. The Conti's are very sensitive to wear if not rotated properly. So far, we have gone over 19K miles on our Tribute and not had any issue with wear or noise. But I bought a service policy with the truck to do oil changes, tire rotations, and any other required maintenance for the first two years as well as warranty all of the truck bumper to bumper for the same period.

My suggestion is that you might do a Site Search on tires, If yours are badly worn, there is no rotation to get the normal tread pattern to wear back in. I'd say your looking at replacement treads. But that's just my opinion.

#5 ·
The original set of tires on my 2001 Tribute were ContiTracs also, and all went well for about 15Kmi. Then the noise began. I decided I was overdue rotating them, so I did. The noise then got REALLY bad! I would not ever get ContiTracs again.

The tires I have today are from Bridgestone...their LeMans Pathmaker HTs. 60Kmi warranty, quiet, great handling, ride and price...what's not to like?
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.co ... icing=true

#6 ·
Over 19K on our conti-craps. Still quiet, sorta anyway. On concrete they are somewhat noisey. But then so are the tires on my F-150 and Bullitt. Still very quiet on macadam pavement.

I did look at and study the tread. There is very little feathering to the tread pattern. We just keep on rotating them. I can see the day when the service policy is over, so is life with the Conti-craps. I'm not going to pay more money to have a second rate quality of ride, traction and noise level on the Tribbie. I'll move up to something more quiet. Maybe a passenger car style highway tire, or tread pattern. We do live in the city, and to go off road would be to drive across someone's front yard... :angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.