Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2009 Escape that will need tires shortly. I am looking to get a new set of tires on it, but Im lost on what brand/style/model to get. It currently has 235-70-16 Latitudes on it. Most of my driving is highway (I would prefer low road noise), but I do hunt and go on trails at times. Also I live in Wisconsin so snow traction is important as well.
Any advice? Also it it possible to go with slightly larger tires or would it be better to stay with the standard tire size?
I sincerely appreciate the help and advice.
Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have firestone Destination A/T. They are 8 yrs old going by the date on them. I have only had the car for 8months.
I have done a fair bit of hwy and they are not loud and travel well.
Also some dirt tracks and a little mud an they did well.
Mine are only 215/70r16.
This set is good considering the age, new ones would be better again.
I would buy them again.
On an 05 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
Real happy with my Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark 235/70/16 just got a few months back.
Not too noisy but plenty or winter traction if the 4WD needs it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know if anyone has, I am sure that they will chime in
I am sure that they will mount and bolt up, but driving them will be a challenge.
From Discount Tire size comparison tool.
225/65R17 to 225/80R17:
That makes your tire 1.5" taller all the way around. Factor in turning and suspension movement and you are going to have some interference.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info Dave. I was told to o ly put 25-28 psi into the tires and that I should be fine...
I basically just need them for my safety inspection Tuesday so if they would work for that I could look for other tires in the meantime. What do you think? Is it worth trying 🤔?

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
543 Posts
Thanks for the info Dave. I was told to o ly put 25-28 psi into the tires and that I should be fine...
I basically just need them for my safety inspection Tuesday so if they would work for that I could look for other tires in the meantime. What do you think? Is it worth trying 🤔?
inspection shops do not care what size tire is on your car, just what the tread depth is.

The tire size you're talking about is usually only in a 10 ply, heavy truck ply… That will make you ride like a rock, unless you lower the pressure significantly.

You typically need 4/32 of tread per tire to pass inspection(just so long as they are not beyond the tread bar).

You can run slightly lower pressure in an oversize tire… that is not the answer you're looking for though.

you really have to look at The footprint you were leaving in sand, loose dirt, to determine what pressure you need to run.

my 83 CJ with oversize tires is happy at 25 psi for tread pattern/wear.

I air down to five psi off payment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts