Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.... Ive been a member here for a bit... i just had to chance my username b/c i forgot it... so im back...

I do have a question tho... I am planning on spending this years tax return on new tires for my 07 Escape. I know the current tires i am running are LT235/70R16s.... I was looking at a few different one out there.. and i found a couple, but the closest size i could find was LT235/85R16. Is the 70 and 85 a big difference? will they fit on my car?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I appreciate all feedback.

Later

Kev

Hey megascape... any luck on the alternator skid plate??? and I am totally game for one of your 3/16 aluminum skid plates for the under carriage... thanks dude...

:rockon:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
From here LINK

Sidewall Aspect Ratio

Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.
So if I calculated that correctly the 85% sidewall tires are 1.39" taller rim to tread height.

I can't say anything for certain, I'm just making a guess based on the numbers, but I have a size taller tires on my Escape than are stock, so I'd assume that 1.39" extra would not cause an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.