Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since my 08 escape's tires are cupped what would you guys suggest to buy ,
i drive 53 miles eachway to work 26000 miles/year open road only 2 lights door to do I want smooth and quiet with decent road handling we get some snow here in philly but i also dont want to break the bank im hoping $ 150 or less if possible let me know what you guys think thanks in advance

[mod]Moved to Exterior Mods.[/mod]

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Kelly-Springfield comes to mind. Tthey make and sell good discounted price highway tires. I've never had any problems with a K-S tire, and they have worn well. Check out the Tire Rack and Discount Tire online. They have tires, prices and owner rating/evaluations.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
For a good on-road tire with decent winter capabilities, the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred seems to be a favourite among quite a few forum members.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I have 17,500 miles on the ContiCraps and I am to my breaking point with the road noise ! :taz:

Squishy said:
For a good on-road tire with decent winter capabilities, the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred seems to be a favourite among quite a few forum members.
Getting a set of these put on this weekend !! :yahoo:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just put general grabber HTS on my car and the difference is unreal. It is quieter, corners 10x better,and sticks to the road like glue in wet conditions.

It's the #1 rated all-season tire in the latest consumer reports and on tirerack, and the best part is that it's cheap.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
TOYO open country will always have my vote!! for an SUV and Truck, and the spectrum for a van or car.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I am happy with the MAXXIS tires. On my last medical check, it was noted i have about 6% hearing loss in my left ear. This did not affect my job position. Partially deaf on the left side but nothing overly severe.

Even so, i can hear that the MAXXIS are quiet on the road. They are definitely, a lot quieter than my previous cooper all terrains. When i had the coopers A/T tires on, they are loud and make a sound ,like when your wheel bearings are on the way out. My wheel bearings have been replaced. The road noise from all terrain tires, sounds just like hub wheel bearings that are almost stuffed.

On completing each service, the mechanic has a test drive. My service tech mentioned to me " Bloody heck! your all terrains are very loud! They make a lot of road noise."

I was not offended, because iv'e known him for twelve years by now. He said it with a smile and i responded by returning a grin. :) :D :lol: Do they have the MAXXIS highway terrain tires in america?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just bought the Avon Ranger HSE's from TireRack last month (they are very highly rated and a "best seller" there, if I remember correctly). We love them. They are so quiet and responsive compared with 68,000 miles the stock Contis. They were inexpensive too. One interesting note: I read one of the reviews on TireRack that mentioned that the Avons didn't need much weight to balance. I didn't pay much attention to the comment (because it seemed like when I was little and would always claim that I could jump higher with new sneakers), but I'll be darned if two of my rims are now sans-wheel weights, and the other two have the thinnest, tiniest weights I've ever seen. You could have knocked me over with a feather....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Tribute. Contis that came with it cupped. Put on Cooper HT's and now they are startting to cup. Does everyone have this problem. I thought it was the Conti's. I have been on other sites saying that it is a camber issue. That you would have to spend 3 to 5 hundred on some camber kit and then have it realligned.
I would recommend the Cooper HT's, if it wasn't for them cupping they would still be great tires.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
MichaelJD1980 said:
One interesting note: I read one of the reviews on TireRack that mentioned that the Avons didn't need much weight to balance. I didn't pay much attention to the comment (because it seemed like when I was little and would always claim that I could jump higher with new sneakers), but I'll be darned if two of my rims are now sans-wheel weights, and the other two have the thinnest, tiniest weights I've ever seen. You could have knocked me over with a feather....
None of my wheels have any wheel weights on them. :D

hawksfan1 said:
I have a 2005 Tribute. Contis that came with it cupped. Put on Cooper HT's and now they are startting to cup. Does everyone have this problem. I thought it was the Conti's. I have been on other sites saying that it is a camber issue. That you would have to spend 3 to 5 hundred on some camber kit and then have it realligned.
I would recommend the Cooper HT's, if it wasn't for them cupping they would still be great tires.
What tire pressure are you running? I think there was another topic a bit back that said Escapes were prone to cupping. I don't have any on mine, although I am running thinner tires with a lower load rating so the pressures are higher than factory.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tires worth getting from tire rack. These are the top tires from tire rack

GENERAL GRABBER HTS
GOODYEAR FORTERAS
MICHILIN LTX
AVON RANGER TIRES

These are some of the tires i would buy after conticraps wear out

·
Registered
490 Posts
jtugfestiva said:
Tires worth getting from tire rack. These are the top tires from tire rack

GENERAL GRABBER HTS
GOODYEAR FORTERAS
MICHILIN LTX
AVON RANGER TIRES

These are some of the tires i would buy after conticraps wear out
Before Conticraps wear out! :cuss: I could only take them for 800 mi on my 07 Mariner. My wife even commented on how bad they were (and she typically doesn't know/care about tires). I bought a new seto of Destination ATs, sold the Conticraps locally, and smiled ever since.

I was glad my 08 came with Cross Terrains. I'll probably drive on them until they wear out.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I use a set of Goodyear Triple Tread tires on my 2005 Hybrid with very good results during the winter months. These are all-season tires that carry the mountain and snowflake symbol indicating it meets severe winter conditions. There is more rolling resistance with these tires and they weight more than my Continental EcoPlus tires I use in the other three seasons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My local Goodyear/Michelin shop has worked on my three Escapes for several years, including our current 2008 Hybrid. All three are prone to cupping the tires, no matter what brand or model of tire is used. The mechanics say that the Ford specs for toe-in are most of the reason. Another part is due to the fact that we always have 4-wheel drive Escapes, and cornering tends to make the tires 'bounce' just a bit more than non 4WD.....or, so I'm told. All-in-all, I keep all tire sets rotated every time I change oil, and the cupping is then spread around the set of tires, extending them a bit.

Having said that, I found the Michelin Cross-Terrain much more resistant to the cupping than the Conticraps (good moniker for those things). I've had three sets of those on our vehicles, and they go much longer than the others. Now, however, with our Hybrid, I'm going to try the Michelin Latitude Tour like they are putting on the 2009 Escape Hybrid......they are getting fairly decent reviews and are low rolling resistance. My Ford dealer sells them for about $15 less than the Michelin website, somehow, so that's where I'll go.

Hope this helps, at least a little....Gary :play:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well I know this thread is old, but I actually like the Conti's in the snow. I drove from Anchorage, Alaska down through Canada and back into the US in blowing snow, and never had to chain up. But now they are cupping so I'm saving my money for some BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM2's.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm not too impressed with the OEM Cross Terrains after driving on them for ~ 1 year. They are wearing very well. However, they are too soft, and wishy-washy for my taste. I'm sure this is because they were designed for comfort & sound (lack there of). I prefer to be able to "feel" the road, not wander on top of it. These tires also tramline bad (we have lots of grooved highway here).

I've heard good reviews on aftermarket Cross Terrains. However, in my reading, it appears they may be designed differently/better than Ford OEMs. I will definitely go wider when I replace.

·
Registered
52 Posts
While tread block design, toe alignment, and infrequent tire rotation are all contributing factors to tread cupping - weak shocks and struts are also a likely possibility. I was quite surprised by how soft the factory shocks on my 09 Escape were after replacing them at 7,000km. I could not handle the extra bounce that the shocks allowed even over fairly modest bumps - especially since they were still brand new. The KYB GR-2 shocks and struts that I have replaced them with are significantly better in controlling the ride, but I still feel that there is room for more valving (firmer) which would farther improve tire contact and tread health.

As mentioned earlier by another poster, rotating tires frequently (as often as every 5,000km or 3,000miles) will definitely extend the useful life of your tires and reduce the cupping. I do not have any suggestions as to what tire will be less prone to cupping on a small SUV as this is my first one, but so far the consensus seems to be that the Michelins and Goodyear Triple Tread are good quality tires with good reviews (my Escape came with the Michelin Latitude Tour but I removed the factory wheels at 5,000kms to install my summer wheels which have Goodyear Eagle GSD-3 tires).

I hope that some of this info may be helpful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BF goodrich all terrain T/A , they are quiet and great in snow . They look like they would be noisy , but they are quieter than the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A with 4 season highway tread .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts