Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2010 Mariner 2.5L 4WD Base. Since July I noticed that the tire on tthe right front was leaking air to the point of inflating it 3 times a week.
I replaced the tire/wheel with the spare one. All 4 tires and the spare are the same brand, size. I had the rotation and balancing done about a month and everything checked out correct. The tires are 3 years old and also the wheels.
I thought it was maybe the tire at fault, so I replaced this tire with the spare one. Unfortunately after 2 days the "spare tire" started to leak air too.
I'm not sure how to approach a fix. I mostly drive 40 miles on the highway and I never took the car on dirt roads.
thank you
paul

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
If it isn't the tire, and the shop that swapped the tire didn't see any issues with the bead, then it must be the valve stem or a porous part of the wheel. All the wheels, from base on up, are aluminum, but if the ones on there are 3 years old, are they OEM new/old or aftermarket? Check the valve stem with some soapy water, and wiggle it around?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thank you for getting back with me. The rims are aftermarket. There is no wiggle around the valve stem. The original tire that went flat had a nail puncture; Belle Tire fixed, but now the spare tire is starting to loose air also.
Both tires are installed on the Passenger Front Side. I'm just not sure how 2 tires installed on front passenger side go flat ( from 4:30 pm to 8 pm the tire pressure dropped from 32 to 16).
I went ahead am used a magnet on the driveway just to make sure there aren't any screws, there werent any.
Any thoughts are appreciated

·
Registered
436 Posts
If all or most of the tires are losing air, I suspect the tires are not seating on the aftermarket rims correctly at the bead. Usually the bead area has to be sanded down so the tires seat properly as there might be some corrosion. Maybe the rims are incorrectly sized for the tires? Without sizing info I can't really say. I would take the vehicle back to a decent tires shop so they can determine the cause and remedy a fix. They can dunk the tire/wheel assembly in a tank to find the leak. It isn't that hard to figure out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts