Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 limited with stock 16" wheels currently sporting 235/70/r16s.
As I am getting ready to get new tires all the way around I would like to add a bit of size to give my escape a new look.
Does anyone know what the biggest tire I can put on the stock rim without modding the fender wells, and not rubbing?

I was thinking something like a 245 75 R16? Anyone with experiance woudl be great, and pics on the vehicle even better

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I compared 245/75 R16 to the 255/75 R15's I run on using this tire calculator.

According to it your larger tires would be a shave smaller than mine, and I have no issues with mine other than the speedometer error that is to be expected.

I wouldn't take my word for it, but assuming that tire calculator is correct and our Escapes are similar (I believe 01-04's are all very similar) I think you would be fine on the 245/75 R16's.

Oh and I almost forgot, Hello and :welcome:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 255/65R16 tires on my 03 Limited. When I bought them the research indicated that they were the same diameter as the original, but wider. Once mounted, they turned out to be considerably taller. I'm guessing that it needs a wider wheel to stay the same diameter.

Anyway, they look fine on the car.

If I were to do it again, I probably would not. The taller tire raised the effective gear ratio. I liked the way it ran with the stock tires better than it does with the 255's.

Other than the size, the Bridgestone Alenza's have been great.

If you truly do want a taller tire, that is one to consider.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Airmapper said:
I compared 245/75 R16 to the 255/75 R15's I run....
I think I need to be ignored. I was under my truck today trying to put on the brush rack and I happen to see the numbers on my tires read 225 not 255. I don't know where I got 255. I think I've lost my mind. :bang: Sorry for any inconveniences.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
you can run up to 32's w/o to much tranny and engine stress with the V^. the 32" my rub a little for a short time. You can run 31" w/o any problems on the '08

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put factory size General Grabber AT2 tires on mine and absolutly love them!!! Aggresive look,quiet,and fairly cheap for an all-terrain....if you wanna pic just let me know!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would like to see pics!

Im wondering, 31"s are like 255-70-16? Those are the ones i want to put it, but im not sure if they'll fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts