Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you guys here are true scholars of this whole mess, so I figured I'd just ask.

I've been through several Escapes (05-07 vintage), and now have another teenage daughter ready for hers. I've done some mega aftermarket installs in Escapes (custom Sub boxes, full interiors out, etc), so I'm not afraid of a little automotive violence and busted knuckles.

I just got a pristine 2005 XLT with all the goodies, including the Mach 300. Honestly it sounds pretty decent, surprisingly so.

I'm trying to decide whether to hack it up with aftermarket Sat (XM), an Aux input, and (hopefully) a USB input, or to buy an aftermarket HU (Pioneer 3200BT, or JVC 810).

I have a Pioneer 8000BT that I pulled from another Escape we had, but I loathed (as in hated) that HU because of its hairbrained control scheme and unusable buttons/switches and that dopey dial in the middle. I don't want to reinstall it here.

I'd like to use the Mach HU if possible (Sat and Aux buttons are there). I want Sat (XM), USB and Mini Jack (not that necessary) Here are the questions that I have

1) Has anyone tried to hack a GROM USB adapter to a Mach HU. It fits most of the bill.
2) I know I can attach a RF level input (RCA or modulated to Mini Jack), but will I give up the changer plug and then not be able to attach the Sat
3) Gotten a Mach HU to do Sat AND USB AND Mini Jack. (yes, I know this is a bit much... :lol: )
4) Should I just shut up and buy an aftermarket HU :hyst:

We don't use iPods, and we all just prefer a good ole USB stick.

Alternatively, do any of the LATER (ie, 08 and onwards) HUs from Escapes/Other Fords fit in the 05-07 and work with the factory harness/connectors. This is a chemistry experiment for sure.

I'd like to do a factory type install if possible. If not, then I'll do an aftermarket HU.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Well if you know me and my position things, you know my vote. Stock goes (except for the rear speakers) and build up from there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you're looking at the Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, I cannot recomend it enough. I am so glad to be rid of stock system. Yes, a little more pricey, but so much more enjoyable and I have so much more control over my sound now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, thanks guys. I was mostly interested in whether folks had gotten the Mach HU to work with all the aftermarket gizmos.

I do like the AVH-P3200BT. I love Pioneer, but the 8000BT was so darn frustrating to operate, that I'm also looking at the brand new JVCs that just came out... they look extremely simple.

This is for a teenage girl (high school senior) and I really want a simple system to operate, so she can pay attention to the road!!! This one's a techie, and she'll play with all the gadgets while driving (makes me crazy)

Fourth, I agree with you 100% for my cars, but I guess the over protective father in me is more interested in simplicity. Regardless, I have a Pioneer XM (GEM 920) that is the best XM receiver I've ever had, so I'm inclined to get the AVH.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Another vote for the 3200 here. My Acura uses that one, this Tribute uses an Avic 900 w/ newer generation software from an x910, then modded up w/ Diaftia's mods from avic411.

But if you don't need navi built right in from the beginning, the 3200 and 4200 are better in a lot of ways. Simplicity being one of them!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts