Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so excited for tomorrow.

We bought the Escape with 4x4 specifically so that my wife can tackle the nasty Michigan weather. And thanks to global warming, it's going to snow tonight / tomorrow + rain and then back to snow. So in one day I hope to drive on Snow, Ice and Wet roads just to see how awesome this truck really is.

Anyone else getting pounded by this storm?

·
Registered
178 Posts
We had ice this morning. On my short commute, without any hills, I had no problems. Traction control came on twice while I was accelerating. It kicks in kind of rough, but it certainly did what it was supposed to. I have fwd and I'm not sure awd would have been a huge advantage on the ice since Lubbock is flat. Stopping is the big deal, but my anti-locks never activated.

The ice melted by 9:30 a.m. and now the wind is blowing hard. Gusts up to 65 mph are expected. So basically, we are back to normal weather. :tumble:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
rehctelf said:
Could bring lots for midwest and the Muskokas - watch out Squishy!
Our dear Squishy thrives in this type of weather. :D Ain't that right, Squishy? ;)
In fact, it will soon be time for him to set up his outdoor freezer. :lol:
Maybe Squishy will post another pic of his outdoor freezer. :)

Have fun, sleeve !!! :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm planning on having some safe / responsible fun. There are a couple of lightly traveled dirt roads by my house that will be good for testing the Escape out on icey climbs and traction control / ABS operation. [granted when no-one else is around.] I don't forsee any problems with the Escapes abilty to traverse an incline covered in ice [shoot it might even do better than my Jeep] but I'm really curious as to the operation of the 4x4 on snow covered roads in normal driving.

Sadly the weatherman has updated the forecast:

1-2" of snow between 4PM and 9PM tonight.
This evenening and into tomorrow morning will be sleet / rain.

So I might miss out on the ice but I'm hope not. Please let it snow! The county over from me is going to get 6-9" and we are forecasted for 1-2". :(

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
We've already had about 15 cm of snow this week, with around 20 cm due for tomorrow the last time I checked. My FWD Escape does very well in this weather, mostly due to the decent ground clearance and being just the right weight to push down to the asphalt in light snow and float on top of heavy snow.

This year's snow isn't high enough yet for my freezer yet, but it's getting there. :D

So far no bears have broken the impenetrable polymer barrier. :taz:

Actually I think they hibernate...or something.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It snowned and then it rained... I woke up this morning to about 2" of fresh white slushy. You know the kind that looks like snow but under neath is about 1/2" [1.25cm] of water goo. So I piled the wife in the Escape and we were off to work.... It wasn't hard pack snow or ice like I was hoping for but the slush was still fun. Pleanty sliperly enough to egage the traction control and the 4x4 system. Not enough of it to really experiment but surely winter will provide more opportunity soon.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Got the first real storm of the year this morning. I live at the dead bottom of a huge hill that my older cars could NEVER make it up. They never plow my street until 3 days later. This morning I back right out and onto the hill. Stopped dead and put it in drive. Hit the gas and saw a tiny flash of the Track light come on and plowed right up the hill. No issues. The truck is amazing in the snow. Tested out the ABS for fun to get a feel of the truck to know its' limits. It is truly a pleasure to drive. I did laugh at multiple vehicles sliding all over the place as I drove by.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
It's raining here now. We had hail a few minutes ago, and now it's just rain again.

We're supposed to get lake-effect snow tonight in the northern 'burbs (us), then the lake-effect bands will shift to the south tomorrow with higher winds.

The past few winters here have been mild, and we were two days away from breaking our record for consecutive number of days without snow until we had 1" at the airport last week. I actually cut the lawn one more time last weekend.

·
Registered
304 Posts
We ended up with 10-11 inches this morning. With unplowed streets the escape handled like a champ. :thumb: Guess it was a good idea to trade the impala in, it never would have made it without everything being plowed.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
We had about 6 inches when I first plowed the driveway, and now there are around another 2-3 inches. It's coming down heavily now. :yahoo:

·
Registered
390 Posts
We got hit with a two 'rounder that headed your way. Way over the yearly average of 12" at 30++ ". Right now minus 14 degrees, -22 at the airport.
You'll love the Escape. I'm like a kid with a new toy every time it snows and find excuses to get out, prolong the trips, park in the drifts.
Have fun!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I got hit with about 5-6 went out with the snowblower but the stuff is like slush just cloged up every time. round 2 is coming in this afternoon with wind and dropping temps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

It's snowing right now and the wife is comfortable enough with the Escape to drive around! :yahoo:

This little truck really does quiet well in the slick stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.