Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The American version of Top Gear is currently airing its first episode tonight on the History Channel. I know it's hrd to live up to the UK version. The hosts of the original are amazing. So far so good for the US version. :thumb:

Check out the web page for the show in the History Channel web site by clicking the following link:

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear

·
Registered
419 Posts
We are up to our third series in Oz. Some people have bagged every series and there has been changes to the hosts on each series.

I think the problem is that they try a copy the original too much, rather be original in themselves.

Interested to hear how the US version goes over

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original set the bar incrediblely high. The hosts of the US version said in interviews, "You can't try to be those guys. You have to be yourselves and hope it works." I thought it was good. Tanner Faust is a great choice as a host and my favorite of the 3, but he's no Jeremy Clarkson. I'll try take it for what it is and enjoy :beer:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Its kind of odd to hear the familiar music and see the logo, then not see Jeremy, James and Richard come out. I'm not sure these guys will work out but I'm glad they got little known actors. The tests and whatnot were good, same silly stuff as the UK. It will take time for the guys to get good banter going but it looks good to me!

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you liked the link Stone :)

It's very weird watching the show without the UK hosts. Jeremy is one of a kind and the guys on that show have a nearly perfect chemistry.

I wouldn't really call Tanner Faust an actor. He's a quite well known and very successful professional racing driver (drifting & rally) and a stunt driver. He's been getting onto TV more and more recently though. I enjoy watching him on Battle of the Supercars with Paul Tracy (Speed Channel).

I don't know much about the other 2 guys. I've seen Adam Ferrara on a few shows. I remember him most from the early King of Queens seasons. Rutledge Wood is a bit of a mystery to me. I never saw him before T.G. I'm hoping the chemistry will get better as the show moves on but it's not bad... just different...

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Only time will tell if these three Yanks have good chemistry or not. One thing I really liked about the preview of the season was they looked to be driving a Raptor. This made me think that they are going to be testing more cars available to Americans and a greater variety as well, not just supercars. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to see muscle cars. The more Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers I see, the happier I'll be :yes: I also wouldn't mind seeing Tanner do some drifting in a Raptor :D

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I probably won't get to see much of it, I don't have cable, but personally I think British Top Gear is the best, and if you want to show it in other countries, just take the show abroad.

They have been to the US before, why not show the British version worldwide. Just be more broad ranged with the vehicles, I like seeing foreign cars, and I'm sure people everywhere like to see cars that they normally wouldn't.

I say great if the new guys can pull it off, but I don't see it being nearly as good. (I seen some of the Aussie Top Gear, it was awful. :doh: )

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Airmapper said:
I probably won't get to see much of it, I don't have cable....
I don't either but you can watch it on History Channels website at the link above.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The boys on Top Gear were spitting moonshine on a fire... for 3 hours... Boys will be boys :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me too. I'm a little disapointed in the cars they've been testing. When I saw the boos Mustang the other night I was thinking "That's more like it"... but then they didn't test it. I would have loved to have seen Tanner's face. He basically said "I'm not impressed" during the segment...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.