Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys noticed a difference in the gas mileage you achieved with your E/M/T's when you didn't use Top Tier detergent gasoline???

It seems like the Caddy is very fickle if you don't use good "quality" gas such as those that are Top Tier. http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
758 Posts
No difference noted. That said, I am constantly adding ethanol to my fuel in an attempt to have an E20-E25 blend. My vehicle runs great on this blend for the third year in a row.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Funnily enough, we were talking about this at work just the other day.

At work, the fuel supplier has recently changed from Jet to Total, and a difference has been noted in the amount of fuel consumed, (we are now getting on average a 2 mpg further on Total, not a great amount, but when applied to 35 coaches per day, well...)

In my Maverick, I get a lot better MPG if I use Esso, Shell or BP fuel (all 3 brands have garages within 3 miles of home), than if I use supermarket own brand, such as Asda Walmart, Sainsbury's, Morrisons etc....

Ok Branded isslighty more expensive by 2p/litre, but is worth it.

I've yet to try the higher octane petrol, but I don't think that would make any real difference (98 octane rather than 95 octane).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Don't know where you're at, or what stations your talking about; but here in OK a year or 2 ago it became law to label the pumps if they contained 10% ethenol or not. I apparently had been filling with E10 for several months before this started, once I switched to a non-E10 ie100% gas station, my mileage went up like 10% (3-4mpg per tank). So maybe that's what's happening?

·
Registered
108 Posts
08HybridOK said:
Don't know where you're at, or what stations your talking about; but here in OK a year or 2 ago it became law to label the pumps if they contained 10% ethenol or not. I apparently had been filling with E10 for several months before this started, once I switched to a non-E10 ie100% gas station, my mileage went up like 10% (3-4mpg per tank). So maybe that's what's happening?
Ford recommends BP fuels.

Yes ethenol contains less BTU's so therefore you are losing about 30% of the effeciency in the ethenol in the fuel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Funny thing is, a buncha freinds have dyno'd their modified Audis and have found that they get the most power from Kwik Trip and BP gas.

Go figure?

·
Registered
574 Posts
gman1868 said:
Funny thing is, a buncha freinds have dyno'd their modified Audis and have found that they get the most power from Kwik Trip and BP gas.

Go figure?
As an added bonus, there is plenty of free BP gas floating around the Gulf of Mexico right now, just there for the taking!

Seriously, in this area (Toronto and area) the name brand stations - PetroCanada, Esso, Sunoco, Shell - all seem to perform about the same. The worst mileage I've gotten in my Escape so far was a tank of Pioneer (an independent) and it was a full 1L/100km (about 2mpg) worse. Strangely, their premium grade works best in my Mercedes. They are also about 2 cents/litre (7 cents a gallon) cheaper than everyone else for Premium.

When you see an Esso station being filled by a PetroCanada tanker, you know it is all the same anyway. Perhaps independents add some stuff to stretch their supplies, who knows. But in Southern Ontario there is only 3 refineries that supply the whole market so I can't see there being a huge difference.

I did notice that the 4 name brands listed above are "Top Tier" rated, however.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts