Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current laptop is the ' Toshiba Satellite Pro P100. :) It has a 17 inch monitor. Video memory is dedicated and has 128 mb. Nvidea ge force go. Processor is intel centrino duo at 1.8 ghz. The hard drive has a 100gb capacity. I upgraded the stock system memory to 1.50gb.

I am currently on win xp with service pack 2. The lappy is reasonably versatile as a media machine. Music is downloaded and then i burn to a blank disc. Watching dvd movies on the toshiba are quite smooth. There does not appear to be any excessive lag or frame skip.

Photo editing on it can be configured easily. Gaming? As regards gaming, i have experimented with a few of them, but it depends on the game specs. If the game specs are demanding it obviously struggles. As an internet browser the toshiba is very competent. I have the Satellite laptop teamed up with a ' NetComm' NB5 ADSL2 + Modem router.

Pages download very quick and this also includes files. I admit it is not an ideal gaming machine. This is of no consequence, because it was not purchased specifically for games. All of the other functionality is more important to me.

The cooling system is very effective. The fan appears to be quiet. On the average, the temperature of air emanating from vents would be warm. My toshiba has never become hot as in cooking. Hopefully this is an indication of competent engineering.

I am quite aware that it is not the ' latest and greatest' or a ' kick butt gaming machine'. Anyway the toshiba is very reliable in other tasks. Capable at file downloading and burning discs. Efficient net browsing lappy. Movie watching via DVD discs . :happy: :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
You don't care too (Hint of sarcasim) much about laptops do you? :lol:

·
Registered
333 Posts
The computer I am using is also a Tosh Sat, but it's an older model...like 3+ years old now. It's been to Afghanistan and back, Texas, Wainwright Alberta, etc etc. It has an Intel Pentium 4 that runs 3.8Ghz, with Hyperthreading ability, 512mb shared ram (upgraded to 1Gig), ATi Mobile Radeon graphics card etc etc. It's a pig on battery power (pentium instead of centrino or other mobile chipset), came with Windows XP that has been updated to service pack 3, had Norton and other programs that I removed because they were more hassle than help.

Overall, it's been a fairly competant and reliable performer. I used to play NFSU and NFSU2 or Most Wanted: Black Edition for hours on end, with the machine going crazy because of being hot, but it's never quit on me running older games. I'm not big on games either, and didn't buy this unit to run games like crazy. That's what the Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, and Sega Dreamcast I still have are for...lol...

I reccomend Toshiba to most people wanting a cost effective machine that should be reliable, and the manufacturer is very helpfull with tech support when you need it.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
My work laptop is a Toshiba sat. I didn't want to spend a lot on a machine that was basically going to be used for word apps and other low power tasks. I also have a Panasonic tough book for hard core work on the production lines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts