Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to commit to a racing event this summer but have towing paranoia using the Escape. I would surely take my time, but a few long substanital grades to pull along the way. 300 mile round trip, dead of summer. Total weight of tow dolly + car is 3150 lb.
Should I keep out of overdrive the whole trip, or just make sure it is out on the steeper grades?

Wish I could put a wireless device to the Datsun's throttle and run the engine to help out
A 250% boost in power would be fun.:hyst:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
It maybe me, but I have no problem using the O/D on my truck. I know, different tranny. The Escape has more hp and torque than my old F-150. I should think that if it was designed to handle the addtional hp and torque, it should be able to pull in O/D on flat lands or downhill. Grades? I would definitely use third/no overdrive. Keep that little engine churning!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i switch my od on and off depending on the road, and speed that im traveling when i tow my trailer. if you plan on towing a trailer, dont even think about or concern yourself with fuel mileage.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still catching up on a few old posts, but towed my Datsun 240Z V8 to the drags last Wednesday. Its mostly an uphill climb from 4660 to 5860'. The Z now weighs 2560 lbs. I didn't try to set any speed records, just took my time though it was easy to keep 70 - 75 on most of the highways. The hills kept me in the slow lane, but no big hurry. The thing that blew me away was the mpg. 156 miles, the return trip with A/C on, used only 8.8 gallons. I almost got 18 mpg with a total weight, gear, tow dolly, of over way over 6500 lbs. The last vehicle I towed with was a 3/4 ton Dodge with a V-10. It could pull a house, but only got 10 mpg.
Brakes were good, initial acceleration surprising. I absolutly love the utility of the Escape.
The Z is a blast to take on road trips, but requires earplugs for extended travel. The Escape has opened up a whole new world of getting there with a comfortable ride and clear mind.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's great to hear about your towing experience! I'm new to the Escape/Mariner thing myself and it's great to hear they can handle the occasional towing duty. Your mpg figures sound great too!

Having grown up on a farm I'm VERY familiar with towing, carrying and pulling WAY more than a vehicle is supposed to. (Always Fords!) I think the key is to know your vehicle and take it slow and easy when you are asking a lot from it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.