Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all my dad has asked me to get a car dolly from U-Haul and tow a Ford Taurus from Indianapolis down to Greensburg, IN...all in all about a 65-75 mile haul. Currently right now I have the 93 tune on my Escape using my XCal 2.....my questions are:

1) Can the Escape pull it? I just installed my Class III hitch so the hitch isn't a problem.
2) Am I maxing out what the Escape can handle?
3) Should I change my tune?
4) Any other questions/concerns that you may have please let me know!

He wants me to do this tonight after work so I am in a hurry on needing this answered!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
No, your towing capacity is 2,000 lbs (assuming no passengers and no cargo). The Taurus has a curb weight of about 3,300 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the Escape had a towing capacity of 3,000 lbs?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I thought it was 3,500 with the V6.

Make that 3,501 with the LED cluster conversion.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be me and Jama going as well. If it will help I will ask her to stay here.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maximum Towing Capacity:
4-cyl Manual: 1000 lbs (454 kg)
V6 Automatic: 2000 lbs (907 kg)
V6 with Towing Pkg.: 3500 lbs (1588 kg)

I've asked this question before with no response: What all is included in the towing package and what do I need to install? I think it was an oil cooler, tranny cooler, and the hitch. I've heard tranny cooler is already installed on all newer Escapes....oil cooler is what I never got a response on...and I installed a big hitch :)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
No idea what's in the towing package. :confused:

Could you rent a Chevy Express or something to tow it? You already had one transmission replaced, I don't think I would risk it.

Also, what's wrong with the Taurus that doesn't make it go? If it's missing an engine, then you'll probably be fine.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Towing packages usually include oil coolers. My Edge and my Explorer both have/had towing packages, and they both have/had oil coolers. I didn't notice any oil cooler on my Escape.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The transmission is bad in it...

Like I told JP in a PM...it's still under full warranty. Should I try it and see how well it does and if it breaks oh well? Or what? I'm confused...would really like to help my dad out but also don't want to cause anything to go really wrong that could have a permanent concequence.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
When the transmission went in our minivan, we lost 3rd and 4th gear (along with TC lockup). We limped it 150 km on secondary roads, going 50 km/h. We started out at 3 am to avoid traffic.

If the Taurus still has some gear engagement, limp it over with the Escape following as an emergency tow vehicle.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Can't help much other than I read a post someone with a Hybrid towed a 2,000# load from like la to denver (I think) an it's only rated at 1,000#

1 - 11 of 11 Posts