Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota and Lexus advised drivers to remove floor mats or risk a forced down accelerator pedal that could lead to a fatal crash.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/29/news/co ... 2009092918

I had a problem with this in a 1985 300ZX. The floor mat would slip up when accelerating hard and a crease near the accelerator pedal would hold it down. It doesn't seem to be a problem with my Escape. There's a tab on the floorboard that fits through a hole in the mat to hold it steady.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Audi had a similar problem back in the 80s. I think they termed it unintended acceleration. Everyone involved ran around looking at everything to blame except the dang floormat. :bill:

Good to see that Toyota is taking care of this with at least a warning. Which is more than what Audi did, even after being sued and nearly driven from the North American Market.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
This is why Ford puts retention pins on all of its driver-side factory floor mats.

I have the factory all-weather (heavy rubber) floor mats in both my Edge and Fusion, and they don't shift around at all.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
1987 2.8L 2wd chev blazer. when to turn left and the throttle stuck. spun the tires and spun a 180. put it into neutral and killed the engine while in the spin. the cop that was at the corner got out of he car and was walking over as i was trying to unjam the floor mat in the pouring rain. when he seen what i was doing he laughed and said have a good day. i make a pint to pull my floor mat back into position almost every time in get into my vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.