Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
Sorry I haven't been around much lately...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but winter's coming!

The positive side to this is that we have a fun truck to drive around in the snow with.
(for those afflicted with this snow issue)

My questions (perhaps to squishy) are, what happens to the TPMS when you mount 4 winter tires that have no sensors in them, and what happens in the spring when the originals are replaced? Do they need to be calibrated again?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
:whistle: I actually have no idea. My 2003 does not have TPMS. I assume that you would get the warning light for as long as your winter tires are installed, and then it should detect your summer tires when you put them back on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The TPMS sensor is on the rim itself, not the tire, so you can switch tires all you want and it won't throw off the system. (provided you don't get a flat)

And if you wanted to get a second set of rims, but didn't want to pay the million dollars for the second set of sensors (which can't be switched from one rim to another like you would change tires) all it does is turn on the little light on the dash. When you put the rims with the sensors back on, the light goes away... no calibrating needed. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, new rims with new winter tires.
I'm not about to pay a stupid amount of money to have sensors on the winter rims...sigh...I guess I get to see that light on the dash all winter...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The dash light can be disabled, but I didn't say that.

:bill:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Ryno911 said:
A little piece of electrical tape on the cluster works too, and removal is easy haha
HAHA!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here's the scoop, installed the winter tires on the winter rims and put them on the truck...
Drive off...no warning lights...odd I figured... then a WHOLE week later, the light comes on and warning on the display!
A whole week?
Something tells me that when you're about to get a flat, it'll happen in under a week!
Anyone know what's the deal with this?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It may have been because the sensors just disappeared instead of reporting low pressure. The computer may have spent all that time looking for your sensors before putting up the warning.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
That would be my guess as well.

Without nitrogen in our tires, the first really cold morning a few weeks ago gave us low-pressure warnings on both our Edge and Fusion, and that happened almost immediately.

BTW, we had nitrogen put in them last week, which includes the funky green stem caps.

:thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds like a good explanation...
Would you happen to know the range of the sensors?
How far before the sensors are "missing"?
Just wondering because the tires w/rims are in the garage. the truck is parked outside.

Yes the funky green valve covers!
Nitrogen is the way to go!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:D

I'm not sure about the sensor range, but that won't affect the system in the car, since you need to be moving at more than 20MPH, IIRC. There's one receiver, and the receiver location varies by model.

It's really nothing more than a warning, so there's no downside to this, other than the warning light and the need to check tire pressures manually. When you put your original tires back on, the system will activate itself again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My guess is that it somehow "detected" the sensors, because the warning went away!

Perhaps it'll "warn" me again on the X-mas roadtrip!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
It is a little strange that it took so long to "notice" that the sensors weren't installed.

Hopefully, you won't see any warnings on your trip!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You'll probably get a TPMS warning. I just meant that I hope that you don't get any other warnings.

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts