Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, for laughs.. I ran the Escape down a 1/4 and 1/8 mile to see how it'd do bone stock.. I was suprised.. I'll get the time slips up today.. But here are the track times.

RUN 1
1/4 15.946 sec
@ 85.575 mph
1/8 10.301 sec
@ 68.771 mph

RUN 2
1/4 16.016 sec
@ 85.995 mph
1/8 10.306 sec
@ 68.768 mph

RUN 3
1/4 15.513 sec
@ 86.027 mph
1/8 10.001 sec
@ 69.043 mph

My quickest 0-60 time was 9.01 sec.
I'm very impressed on how well this things reacts. I've draged a few cars and I do have a good responce time, so I'm sure that helped my off the line a bit more. I want to get this quicker than my old Taurus.

Taurus' Quickest Run
1/4 11.163 sec
@ 126.836 mph
1/8 5.865 sec
@ 88.209 mph

Keep in mind that my Taurus wasn't even close to stock. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
First thing to do is an XCAL3. I have one on my measly 4 banger and it makes a hell of a difference, especially w/ the trans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Not bad at all for bone stock. You'll have to do a lot, and spend a lot to get it in the 11s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
I wouldn't do it.

There are a few cars that simply shouldn't be modded to this degree, and the EMT's are one of them. Here's the short list of why not:

The trans is a piece of junk. Ask any trans shop about the CD4E. Seriously. They'll just shake their heads in shame. It can't take high horsepower, even with an Xcal pushing up the fluid pressure.

The engine is also a piece of junk (relatively speaking in terms of performance!) It also can't take horsepower increases very well. The cam system doesn't like it and the engine is prone to failure at a very low horsepower level (above stock of course.)

The rear diff will fail early on in your quest for speed. You'll be doing this w/ FWD only.

The front diff is open and there is no provision for a locker or limited slip. You'll be doing it peg-legged.

I could go on, but basically the vehicle is what it is. It is a car chassis that makes for a decent lightweight SUV in normal non-offroad conditions. You can push it a bit in the offroad, but not what you'd consider a Jeep or a true 4x4 truck to do. And on tarmac, the chassis isn't designed to push the limits, either. It is designed to keep the top side up, not hang a corner. The front tires will push into oblivion before the vehicle wags its tail.

Sometimes you have to face the music on this stuff...it is a soccer mom SUV that excels in daily life "stuff" but I guarantee if you push it any direction it wasn't intended to go, it will break and break often.

IMO, if I were to do something to this truck, it would be to swap the engine and trans with a modern '09 V6 version. That 6-speed and the better engine is SWEET. At least the 6 speed can take some abuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fourthmeal said:
I wouldn't do it.

There are a few cars that simply shouldn't be modded to this degree, and the EMT's are one of them. Here's the short list of why not:

The trans is a piece of junk. Ask any trans shop about the CD4E. Seriously. They'll just shake their heads in shame. It can't take high horsepower, even with an Xcal pushing up the fluid pressure.

The engine is also a piece of junk (relatively speaking in terms of performance!) It also can't take horsepower increases very well. The cam system doesn't like it and the engine is prone to failure at a very low horsepower level (above stock of course.)

The rear diff will fail early on in your quest for speed. You'll be doing this w/ FWD only.

The front diff is open and there is no provision for a locker or limited slip. You'll be doing it peg-legged.

I could go on, but basically the vehicle is what it is. It is a car chassis that makes for a decent lightweight SUV in normal non-offroad conditions. You can push it a bit in the offroad, but not what you'd consider a Jeep or a true 4x4 truck to do. And on tarmac, the chassis isn't designed to push the limits, either. It is designed to keep the top side up, not hang a corner. The front tires will push into oblivion before the vehicle wags its tail.

Sometimes you have to face the music on this stuff...it is a soccer mom SUV that excels in daily life "stuff" but I guarantee if you push it any direction it wasn't intended to go, it will break and break often.

IMO, if I were to do something to this truck, it would be to swap the engine and trans with a modern '09 V6 version. That 6-speed and the better engine is SWEET. At least the 6 speed can take some abuse.
Well, I will have to disagree about the engine part of what you said. I had the 3.0 DOHC motor in my old Taurus and I was able to push about 280HP at the wheels. The transmissions were known to be much bigger pieces of junk in those things than any other ford. Only planned on building speed for FWD only anyway.. Almost all vehicles aren't intended to be modded and stuff like that.. Why do you think it's all aftermarket parts and not dealer parts? My goal is 300hp at the wheels, which is very possible if you have the money and most importantly, the patience/time. It's more of a 1/4 mile twice a month thing. It's a thought, and something I deffinately could pull off.. My only question is do I really want to put the money there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
good luck with your quest!!

i refer to my escape as my 4wd grocery go getter.

my buddy owns a tranny shop, and said the guys fight over who is NOT gonna re and re an EMT haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I agree the transmission on the 3.0 V6 DOHC Duratec wasn't the best Ford's ever offered, but I also believe it's a pretty strong, if not exactly great shifting thing. That transmission and engine are two places I never had any mechanical issues over the years. The engine always ran strong, and it shifted just as badly at 200k as it did when new. hehe

gotta say, a 300hp Ford Escape would be fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
johnnymossville said:
I agree the transmission on the 3.0 V6 DOHC Duratec wasn't the best Ford's ever offered, but I also believe it's a pretty strong, if not exactly great shifting thing. That transmission and engine are two places I never had any mechanical issues over the years. The engine always ran strong, and it shifted just as badly at 200k as it did when new. hehe

gotta say, a 300hp Ford Escape would be fun!
It's fun to think about.. I work in a shop myself.. So I have the facilities should I decide to do this. It's the same motor as my Taurus.. I'm just going to replicate what I did and some. Get about 20 more horses out of it.. Do some weight stages, and go find my old Taurus and drag it to see if i'm close. It killed me to sell it, but I needed the money really bad at the time. The 3.0 DOHC motor, is actually the reason why I bought an Escape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
RyanRage said:
...The 3.0 DOHC motor, is actually the reason why I bought an Escape.
I agree the 3.0 DOHC is a really nice motor. Good luck whatever you decide to do, and more importantly, have fun! That Escape you have looks super clean!

I've already been rolling ideas around in my head for what I'd like to do with my new 2.5 duratec i4. the new 6 speed automatic is pretty sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
RyanRage said:
My quickest 0-60 time was 9.01 sec.
ho-hum... :boring:

My stock '64 Valiant with 170 c.i.d. slant six and 3-speed torqueflite 6 does the following:

RUN 1
1/4 155.946 sec
@ 35.575 mph
1/8 100.301 sec
@ 18.771 mph

RUN 2
1/4 did not complete
1/8 100.306 sec
@ 18.768 mph

RUN 3
not applicable; pit row

Confession: during the first run I did remove the spare tire from the trunk and benefited from a 23 knot tail wind gusting to 38 knots.

:party:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
:hyst: Leaning Tower of Power fell over, eh?

This is really the first time I've heard anything bad about the Duratec 3.0. I thought it was fairly robust, or is that just the block?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
I guess I should first state that I work for a company that takes hotline calls (about 1300 a day) from techs all over North America...so I'm jaded to what engines are "good" and not so good. That said there are reliability issues w/ this engine, most notably the unsolvable (without a massive custom job) problem of the exhaust manifold. I already explained what goes wrong here so I'll leave it at that.

If you want to REALLY solve the problems while getting the horsepower rating you desire, I have but ONE solution... Install the 3.5L transverse V6 out of the Edge and/or Flex, with the transmission. This engine is built much, much better and has a ton more power right out of the box. The trans will take the abuse, and you have the added benefit of a stock-ish powerplant that will get exceptional gas mileage. They sell for about 1800 bucks on eBay! Can you beat that? Hell no! Anyway, a bit of engine harness work and you could probably run the stock Flex or Edge ECU to boot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fourthmeal said:
I guess I should first state that I work for a company that takes hotline calls (about 1300 a day) from techs all over North America...so I'm jaded to what engines are "good" and not so good. That said there are reliability issues w/ this engine, most notably the unsolvable (without a massive custom job) problem of the exhaust manifold. I already explained what goes wrong here so I'll leave it at that.

If you want to REALLY solve the problems while getting the horsepower rating you desire, I have but ONE solution... Install the 3.5L transverse V6 out of the Edge and/or Flex, with the transmission. This engine is built much, much better and has a ton more power right out of the box. The trans will take the abuse, and you have the added benefit of a stock-ish powerplant that will get exceptional gas mileage. They sell for about 1800 bucks on eBay! Can you beat that? Hell no! Anyway, a bit of engine harness work and you could probably run the stock Flex or Edge ECU to boot.
You're missing my point.. I know the motor can handle it because I've made a 3.0 dohc go fast already.. 280 at the wheels.. on a worse transmission than what's in the escape. :shrug: Maybe I just got lucky for 4 years of running it... But that, I highly doubt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
A couple of things.

First of all, the D30 is a good engine. In some applications they have pushed 700+HP with the standard block. It is the base engine for the Noble supercar, and the cougar guys run forced induction on it regularly.

The real problem with the escape is the shitty transmission.

Also, I think that track you were at has screwed up clocks. Your 0-60 is way too slow (a stock escape clocks in at 8.5 seconds), but your 1/4 mile is way too fast (16.2-16.5 for the 2001's).

My escpe is a 2006, which is a slower model due to the gear ratio changing after 2003, and I can only run 16.5 at the track, even with an XCAL 3 93 octane tune with an ADDITIONAL 2 degrees of timing on top of the performance tune, modified shift points (to hold 2nd gear through the 1/4 mile) and magnaflow dual exhaust. 15.9 is about right for the 2001, but there is NO WAY you are running 15.5.

If you want power, pretty much the only thing to do on these that the transmission can handle is the kenne bell supercharger. Any more than that and you'll be replacing transmissions more often than tires.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top