Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, newbe here! I recently purchased a 2007 CPO Escape (55k) from a ford dealer and i LOVE it! :thumb:
Most fluids in it have been changed (by the previous owners) but they dont know if the tranny fluid has been changed or not (it looks cherry-red but dosen't smell burnt, personally i doubt it). I wanted to change the fluid myself. I am familiar with these trannies not liking mercon V but i noticed that the dipstick says to use mercon but the owners manual says to use mercon V. I know the two fluids dont mix so how can you tell if it has mercon or mercon V in it?

·
Registered
280 Posts
If I remember correctly, you were supposed to avoid using Mercon V for a while because something about its formulation made it incompatible with vehicles that used to use Mercon. However, I believe that this is no longer true and that you can indeed use Mercon V in your transmission.

If it helps, I replaced the fluid in my 02 Escape with Mercon V (using something similar to the "prowler method", you can search for it). That was about 1 year and 6,000 miles ago. I haven't yet had any trouble.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
As far as I know they switched over to Mercon V in 05. But when I went to the autostore the other day the ford transmission fluid said mercon/merconV, So I guess they are interchangable now. Dont quote me on this. I use castrol Mercon. But if I was to switch I would use Mercon V. I do a 4 quart swap every other oil change. If you remove the plug on the tranny you will drop exactly 4 quarts. If you want to do a complete fluid change you'll have to completly drain it by following Prowlers directions, which I think include disconnecting one of the tranny fluid lines.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
ajc6882 said:
As far as I know they switched over to Mercon V in 05. But when I went to the autostore the other day the ford transmission fluid said mercon/merconV, So I guess they are interchangable now. Dont quote me on this. I use castrol Mercon. But if I was to switch I would use Mercon V. I do a 4 quart swap every other oil change. If you remove the plug on the tranny you will drop exactly 4 quarts. If you want to do a complete fluid change you'll have to completly drain it by following Prowlers directions, which I think include disconnecting one of the tranny fluid lines.
+1000!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say your 07 was designed to use Mercon V, not the old style fluid.
My 02 happily runs the new Mercon V without a problem. I used Castrol as well.
You are reading the old trans fluid problems and trying to apply them to a newer vehicle with reformulated fluids. Doing a full flush and fill is nearly child's play as far as auto mechanics go. The new V stuff is fine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Since the dipstick says one thing, and the owner's manual specifies something different, I kinda wonder if there' s TSB out there that can clarify what to do?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Maybe you got an owners manual from a different year, like I did... I have an 03 but my owners manual says 05.

Don't quote me on this, but I thought my manual mentions both fluids, but says use whatever is labelled on your dipstick.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have looked up to see if there are any TSBs about it and so far nothing turned up as of yet. I know the 2007 models are a full carryover from 2006 with no changes. My book says 2007 model.
It is still very strange.
I guess at the factory they couldnt find the right dipstick so they tossed in any they could find! lol j/k

·
Registered
435 Posts
My Escape is an '02 and the dip stick says Mercon V. I was concerned, but they are compatable now(Mercon/Mercon V) so I'd just use Mercon V.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts