Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive read all teh stuff about how our transmission only likes fords oil. anyone here ever put any thought into a rebuild followed by an amsoil synthetic fill for the tranny?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, we got a new tranny flushing machine at work. and it jsut so happens that the bulk oil, is fords merconIII/dextron. so over the christmas break when i do my axle seals, i will see how well the machine works.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Too bad you don't live very close to London, I'd give you a case of beer and pay you shop rate to do the transmission on a Seville STS. A friend of mine's brother bought one and promptly beat the **** out of it. The Northstar engine probably loved it, but now the transmission slips in 1st and 3rd, and the fluid foams up immediately after starting the car. We did a few drain and fills with Dexron VI (before we knew the full extent of the damage), but now we can't find a shop that will do a proper fluid exchange.

As for Amsoil, have you tried searching BITOG? They pretty much know everything Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you could bring it to a ford dealer and spend the 230 bucks for a flush, cleanser, and fill. not that that is what i will ever do again. lesson learned. its way to expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
My friend has been calling around and can't find a shop (including dealers) that can do a proper fluid exchange instead of a "flush". Now I've asked him to just get the model of the machine in their shop and research it himself; I'm willing to bet that several of those shops have the right equipment but don't know it, because they've always called it a "flush".

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a flush machine is most likely able to just change the fluid. the one we have, you fill up one jug (its a big jug) with new fluid, and hook it inline with your transmission cooler, and it pumps in new fluid while the old fluid is pumping out. after that some vehicles and transmissions require a special additive. which you can purchase at a transmission shop, way cheaper then at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
There are different types of "flush" machines, and we're trying to avoid the "power flush" machines in favour of that is more properly called a "fluid exchange" machine. The exchange machines are the ones that measure fluid outflow from the transmission's own pump and replaces new fluid accordingly. A power flush machine will force the fluid out at its own pace, sometimes faster and at a higher pressure than the transmission pump will ever put out. Even worse are the "reverse flush" machines, which try to avoid filter changes by backflushing but instead push debris everywhere it isn't supposed to be.

That special additive is to make Mercon "become" Mercon V, and possibly to make Dexron III become Dexron VI (although I have never heard of such an additive). I don't really trust those; personally, I would start out with the proper fluid. Mercon/Dexron III have different quality base stocks than their upgraded counterparts, and I don't think an additive can improve that enough.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know what you mean. lol. the one we have at work pumps in according to hat is being pushed out. its the exact machine you need lol. its a bit of a drive to get there though LoL.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Yeah, my friend is probably going to buy a Town Car here in Waterloo, so someone will have to drive his rental back to London when he picks the new car up. I will probably go back and show him the three-person "bucket method" where one measures fluid coming out, one puts fluid back in, and one slowly shifts the gears.

:topic:

Any luck with your Amsoil research?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no not yet. i have only been hopping on the PC for a few minutes every so often lol. about long enough to read one or two post. :) a town car may be what younger guys call an old man mobile, but after driving my sisters Big *** olds, i would drive a big luxury sedan any day.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE look that stuff up lol.

i might pick some up just to try it out on a 4.3l chev. thats one engine that would be amazing with that stuff. and if i got the engine cheap enough it wouldn't be a big deal to blow it up HAHA

·
Registered
256 Posts
suggest the tried-and-proven prowler-patented 7-6-3® fluid exchange process:

drain the pan (4 quarts) by removing and replacing drainplug.
add 7 quarts of new fluid.
disconnect trans cooler line, run into a drainpan that has a line at the 6-quart point
start car, slowly shift through gears, until 6-quarts is pumped out
shut off car, fill with 3 quarts fluid.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Moly = bad in an auto, no? Metallic additives mess with the clutch material.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i shoulnt have started a new thread LoL, i would never put anything like that into a transmission. but if it was cheap enough, i sure would toss it into an old lawn mower or tractor..

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I think moly would be good for flat tappet lifters as a replacement for ZDDP, although you can still get HDEOs with high ZDDP content for not much more money, and I think those oils are just better overall.

I used Duron XL 0W-30 in the Seville's Northstar for $26 a jug.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts